Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the local guys quit offering service

bbbean

I've always supported local businesses, and will go out of my way and pay a premium to buy from a locally owned store instead of going to the big box . In particular, the local hardware/lumber stores have always given me great service, and are great to deal with when you need some unusual item or an odd lot of something.

So when I pulled the last intact target support (1X3 furring strip) out of the shed last week, I made a note to pick up a new batch for the season. One day during lunch, I stopped by the lumber dealer and asked if they could cut 20 furring strips in half for me, and the woman at the counter looked at me like I was nuts. "We don't do that," she said. I pointed out that they id that last year and the year before, and she made a face that looked like I'd asked for sexual favors and said "We've NEVER done that!"

OK, She's new, but rather than pitch a fit in the store, I figure I'll call their competitor (also locally owned, but by a guy who hacked me off during the election). A much friendlier man answers the phone, but informs me that their insurance company won't let them custom cut lumber any more.

It's worth noting that I do own a saw, and I realize it isn't that hard to throw up a couple of saw horses and cut the 8' strips down myself, but I was in my Jeep, which makes hauling 8' lumber a hassle, and I was annoyed at the principle of the thing. It's also worth noting, that I've spent a great deal of money at each of the two local stores over the past 20+ years, and they're small enough to know that.

So a couple of days later, I'm in a larger town with my wife and she insists on going into a big box hardware store to look for something she needs. On a whim, I ask one of the guys in the orange vests if they can cut down some furring strips for me, and he practically runs to the lumber pile to pull the strips and cut them down. Doesn't charge me a thing, and offers to haul the strips to the front counter so they'll be there when my wife finishes looking at ceiling fans.

I still can't bring myself to actually like the big box stores - there's a lot of things not to like about them. But I know two locally owned stores that won't be selling me any lumber or hardware when I build a new garage and studio this fall, or the next time we repair one of our farm houses or buildings.

Why didn't you personally speak with the owners of the two local companies?

I didn't want to make a federal case out of it and ruin my lunch hour. Besides, when the first woman hacked me off, there was a perfectly good competitor across town. The other local guy was polite and gave a logical reason.

In a perfect world, everyone would go to the top very time there was a problem, but in the real world, there's only so much time you can spend fixing minor problems. As long as there are competitors, I'd rather do business with people who want my business.

I get the whole idea of help the little guy, but I guess what alot of people miss is what those big box store bring

-jobs

-competition

-tax money back into the community

-alot of those companies then support local efforts, local United Ways, offer deep discounts to not for profits organizations

-offer discounts to the local contractors which in turn helps the community

-some even help support local sports teams, or allow the girls scouts to set and sell cookies there (letting the sell a heck of alot more)

-can help bring in development to an area

So may be I look at it a little different in what the big box guys do to help the local community

So may be I look at it a little different in what the big box guys do to help the local community

Yes. You look at it very differently. My experience doesn't match yours.

You are talking about just service, I am referring to what a big box retailer can give back to the community it is in compared to the little guy.

Let me me give you an example

Local Home Depot (or Lowes or Walmart) does $25million a year in sales, from that look at the state and local taxes compared to a mom and pop that does $1mil

Local mom and pop has 5 employees, all part time, no benefits

Home Depot (or Lowes or Walmart etc) has 200, 75% part time,15% full time and the rest salary (usually between $40k to $70 for Asst Managers, $100k-$150 for SR managers, Store Managers)

Mom and Pop store is maybe 25,000 square feet, while the big box is what 200,000, not including the parking area, so they are paying for all that, taxes on it, leases to local real estate usually.

So while you are paying an extra $5 for the samething at a place because they know your name, which place is really giving back to the community?

Hell I know my own name, don't really care if they do or not.

Ive been in construction 15 years and dealt with just about every large and small lumberyard/supply house and Im gonna have to agree with bbbean 100% here...

Edited by Avezorak

You are talking about just service, I am referring to what a big box retailer can give back to the community it is in compared to the little guy.

I am also referring to the community. But this isn't the forum to hash out our differences on the matter. Suffice it to say that I am intimately familiar with many small towns (including my own) who have seen losses in jobs, revenues, competition, and local involvement when one chain box store replaced several locally owned stores. In many cases, prices went up once the local competition was eliminated. I'm also familiar with the supply chain side of things, and the big boxes haven't done any favors to US producers or textile mills. We've exported a lot of jobs to China to feed the big boxes.

FWIW, it isn't about ego or having someone call me by name. It's about creating jobs and economic opportunity at home, it's about dealing with a business that will accommodate my unique set of needs and preferences.