Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice on a Sigma

Graham Smith

The husband of an acquaintance of mine asked me about a S&W Sigma 9mm. He's looking for something to shoot (low volume, non-competition) and found a good deal on these at Gander Mountain.

I haven't heard anything particularly bad so it seems like it would be a fairly good deal ($300 after a rebate). Anyone know of any issues he should be aware of?

the triggers are pretty terrible, and I have heard bad things (not experienced them myself). I actually almost bought one as my first hand gun, but decided to spend a few extra bucks on a walther.

The triggers can be cleaned up with polishing or new springs, and there are places online to learn how, if that's important. If it's just a point a shoot gun every once in a while, I'd say go for it. I'd be comfortable with it as HD once I knew it shot every time.

or go with them, and help them get a good deal on a used M&P, glock, S&W revolver, or something of a bit higher quality and ease of use. all run about $400 around here, maybe less

Reputation is they are reliable, go bang when you pull the trigger, and have a sorry trigger pull. The factory service center in Texas will do an very acceptable tigger job on one if returned complaining about it. Academy Sports, if you are near one, often has them for a reasonable price with the S&W rebate.

I'd buy one before a Hi Point!

I've owned one, basically a glock with a crappy trigger.

In fact when they first came out, Glock successfully sued S&W because it was too much like a Glock. If you try to make a Glock as cheaply as you could, you'd get a Sigma. But,

in the 5 years my shop sold them, we never had one come back for warranty repair. The owner got one when we first started carrying them & ran it like a borrowed mule, accuracy wasn't great, but it always went bang. If your friend just wants to plink on the weekend (less than 200 rounds a month), it would be fine. But if he decides to get more serious, he will need to upgrade.

I've owned one, basically a glock with a crappy trigger.

I am sorry were you saying Glock has a good trigger? The sigma and glock are about the same. The M&Ps have some of the best trigger out there. I have shot all and own glocks and M&Ps and with a trigger job and everything the glock still is not for me.

How soon the world forgets. I was an early Stigma victim. Mine was an early "high grade" gun. I was sooo proud, I had the latest S&W in the latest caliber, 40 S&W. I was absolutely punch drunk on blue kool-aid. The Sigma would misfire at random intervals, every once in a while the slide wouldn't travel fully to the rear on it's own, it would FTF, then FTE, often time all in the same session, with the same ammo. Changing ammo had no effect. In short, it wasn't an ammunition problem. After almost a year of this nonsense, I traded it off to a local gunstore, for a Beretta. Less than a month later, the bottom dropped out of the Sigma market, as the word got out what toads they were. People were trying to put together a class-action suit to force S&W to buy them all back, but that idea didn't materialize. The gunshop still had my Sigma when they went out of business about 5 years later. I came visiting this board to see if I was ready for another S&W semi-auto. I guess the jurys till out on that. If the Stigma was so reliable, why has S&W changed the name of the gun at least twice? It's now called the "SD9" or something like that, after getting a facelift. On the brighter side, my free range bag is still holding up perfectly! I couldn't in good conscience, recommend the Sigma to anyone as their only gun after having been through this & watching the stocking S&W dealers lose their ummm, tails on these guns.