Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GP6 / GP6C

I am constantly amazed that this comes up as a concern.

Yep, kinda like 1911 owners that will not carry cocked and locked :surprise:

IMO there's a pretty big difference between not wanting to carry with the hammer back just because it looks scary if you don't understand the design and not wanting to actuate the trigger of a loaded gun when you don't want it to fire. In either case though, the solution is to not buy it, which is what I did. I'm not saying it's dangerous, just that I don't need something else to think about while I'm getting ready to shoot a stage.

Well I just picked up one today. It fit my hand well. There are 3 additional backstraps to install for a better fit. Trigger resets within an 1/8 of an inch if that much. For an out of the box trigger it's really nice. The mags are metal instead of plastic so that may account for cost differential. It's light weight and looks like it will be a great carry gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm ticked off. Only shot a few rounds just to see how it worked and it seemed fine. Second trip to the range with several hundred rounds of ammo and all I was able to do was get 1 or 2 rounds per mag down range. It just would not chamber a round. After 2 trips to the local dealer it's on it's way back to STI. One thing for sure this is my first and last STI. My $300 Rock Island fired first time and is still running fine after 11,000 plus rounds through.

I like the feel and zero recoil but that means nothing if it won't load a round.

Well I'm ticked off. Only shot a few rounds just to see how it worked and it seemed fine. Second trip to the range with several hundred rounds of ammo and all I was able to do was get 1 or 2 rounds per mag down range. It just would not chamber a round. After 2 trips to the local dealer it's on it's way back to STI. One thing for sure this is my first and last STI. My $300 Rock Island fired first time and is still running fine after 11,000 plus rounds through.

I like the feel and zero recoil but that means nothing if it won't load a round.

I'm shocked. May I ask, what type of failure was it? Did the round come out of the mag at all? Part of the way? Stalled on the way into the chamber?

• 2 months later...

As I mentioned before, I'm on my second. That's sort of a lie. My first was the first model Grand Power K100. It was slightly different in that the trigger guard was slanted at the front, and the safety was metal.

My current model is the base GP6, but upgraded with the Dynamic fixed rear sight, and the fiber optic front sight and big button mag release. (The mag release works from either side without switching, but the big head is only on one side)

Fed a steady diet of plated or jacketed bullets and using Viht N320 powder, it runs like a scared deer. I find it is best lubed with a small dab of grease on the cross pin, and on the front edge of the frame rails (4).

If you use CLP or Militech as a lube it can combine with powder fouling and the gun can progressively run slower.

I've used truncated cone, hollow point, and round nose bullets. So far I have not run into a combination that will fit in the mag and not feed into the chamber, but I suppose it could happen.

Because the barrel never changes angle compared to the magazine or feed ramp, I suspect it's relatively less picky.

For the same reason, I suspect the extractor will probably last the life of the gun.

For those that want it, there is a 5 inch barrel available. I believe it is shipped with the GP6-C.

The new versions are being shipped with 4 interchangeable backstraps so finding the perfect fit ought to be easy.

The one feature I love is that when you slap in a fresh mag from slide lock, the slide will follow 100% of the time. It's not a flaw. It was designed that way.

Now for the bitch and gripe list, it ain't long.

The slide stop pin can tend to creep out to the left. Pulling it out using a slave pin and putting a very slight bend in it is suggested as a fix.

The magazines are expensive by comparison. The 10 round mags are dimpled. I wish they were simply grooved like the Beretta mags so they would be easier to clean.

The rear sight shipped with the GP6-C is the Elliason, and mounted further forward than I like. I wish they used a Bomar / LPA style mounted further back.

The factory are quick to ship a replacement part if needed, and for the most part they are not breaking. However I am used to having a spare recoil spring and extractor on hand.

Thanks for the info. I'm down here in Dawson/STI country and there are tons of 2011's, but very few GP's. Makes me wonder if there are production issues because STI has tremendous support of there other platforms.

I'm looking for a used GP6-C before there aren't any at all.

Thanks for you help,

Rick