Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damaged Case Mouths

Ryan C

I was looking to see if anyone could take a look at these pictures and see if they could give me an idea of what is causing this issue and any idea of fixes? Is it a reloading issue (too light of a load possibly) or a gun issue?

These were mixed brass .40 S&W loaded with 4.9gr of Universal Clays, frontier cmj 180gr, don't recall the the oal without checking my book.

IMG_20110303_210630.jpg

IMG_20110303_210619.jpg

IMG_20110303_210606.jpg

Thanks for taking a look,

Ryan

They did not get kicked out, and got rammed back into the barrel hood.

Possible causes are;

• Light load or too heavy spring not allowing case to come back far enough to hit the ejector.
  • missing, damaged, or weak extractor not holding the case until it is hit by the ejector.
  • missing or damaged ejector.

They did not get kicked out, and got rammed back into the barrel hood.

Possible causes are;

• Light load or too heavy spring not allowing case to come back far enough to hit the ejector.
  • missing, damaged, or weak extractor not holding the case until it is hit by the ejector.
  • missing or damaged ejector.

+1

light load heavy spring

Sounds very possible to be any of those three things.

The extractor and ejector both seem to be in good shape. Sounds like the load is too light. Easy enough to knock it up a couple tenths and see if it clears up.

I'm currently shooting 4.9-5.0gr of universal clays under a montana gold 180gr cmj in my 2011. I tried it out first in my M&P. It does not make major in the M&P, but it should be more than enough to cycle without issue on a stock recoil spring. Heck, With the stock recoil setup, I didn't start to have issues until I went under 115pf using 180gr plated when I was experimenting for a steel load. When I got a short stroke, it was genuinely short, and basically reinserted the empty case without stripping a new round.

Check your charge weight to ensure you are loading what you think you are. Chrono to be sure if you have one. But I'd also geck that your extractor is moving freely and is intact, and that your ejector is not messed up. If you did anything liek install a shock buff (are they even made for the M&P), take it out as it may be limiting slide movement.