Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

support hand grip strength

aztecdriver

I've read a lot of discussion about the proportions of the amount of "grip" between strong hand and weak hand - and honestly I paid it some heed, but not to the level that I think I should and I believe I just proved it. - at a Glock match non-the-less.

This is the first time I went to one of these - but I went because it was close and heck, you could win a gun. I don't even own a G17 to shoot civilian with, so I borrowed another shooters 17, and shot it in civilian and amateur competition categories. I just bought a G26, so I shot that in subcompact and my modded out limited G35 in unlimited - not having a dot sight, I didn't expect to compete - but hey, while I'm there, right? I shoot production with a G34 with the typical springs and guide rods swapped out but I left it at home. I didn't want to have to undo everything to be legal.

What an experiment - the results - I shot the G17 like crap, in both divisions. Low left shots all over the place, and in one run on the plate rack, left two plates standing. A little embarrassed. My second best time, by almost 10 seconds was the G26, and my best performance by another 20 seconds was the G35. Considering nothing measures power - it's all speed and accuracy at this match - and mostly accuracy, I had to think about what caused my problem. I think it would be a cop out to blame the trigger - it had a factor, because I was used to the 3.5 in my 34. But that doesn't explain the performance with the G26. The I realized that in both the 26 and 35, I had to change my grip to handle the gun - 26 because of size and weight and the 35 for the increased recoil. I could even feel it in my weak hand after shooting the 35 - the mag release button was pressed into my hand harder.

My production shooting has been slow - and it felt like I've been over sighting - making sure I got the hits. And weird stuff like more rapid shot splits actually seeing accuracy go up - and I think because I "thought" about going faster I'd tighten up the grip a bit from my weak hand. So I think I have some work ahead experimenting with my support hand grip pressure and working on working less with my strong hand.

Low left can also be anticipation or the position of your finger on the trigger. You would be experiencing more recoil with shooting the smaller Glocks, and that may of lead to anticipation.

I think because I "thought" about going faster I'd tighten up the grip a bit from my weak hand. So I think I have some work ahead experimenting with my support hand grip pressure and working on working less with my strong hand.

Most make the mistake that they ought to increase the pressure with their strong hand. (which makes trigger control even worse)

Keep that mindset that it is the support hand.

Also, work on trigger control and the surprise break. If it is truly a surprise, then you won't be able to flinch in time for it to matter.

See Cooper:

Most make the mistake that they ought to increase the pressure with their strong hand. (which makes trigger control even worse)

Keep that mindset that it is the support hand.

Also, work on trigger control and the surprise break. If it is truly a surprise, then you won't be able to flinch in time for it to matter.

See Cooper:

I do - my slowfire often results in surprises, without thinking about "I want this to surprise me", and in slowfire I'm fairly darn accurate. In dryfire, the gun is fairly steady. I really think it was involuntary muscle reaction to trigger finger movement causing the hand to dip.

Thanks for the comments and validation - I'll experiment and report back. I think we have a session tomorrow.

Personally, the further I've gone in the direction of having my support-hand do most of the work the more my shooting has improved. I have been using a CoC gripper mainly for adding grip-strength to my support-hand for about 6 or so months now and seems the stronger I get and the more I can leave my strong-hand to merely just taking care of pulling the trigger, the better off I am.

I don't even consider any of the 60/40 or 100/100 grip-ratio theories anymore, I find good stance and grip technique (hand placement , not strength) take care of most of the recoil-control and shot recovery stuff over any sort of conscious grip-force-recipe.

Guess I've just started to look at my support-hand as being kind of like a v-pod/shooting stick/monopod sort of thing like some hunters use with their rifles. I think of it as though the support-hand is responsible for actually holding, course aiming, and controlling the gun under recoil, more tgan anything just providing all the stability really needed and holding onto the gun for me so all my strong-hand has to do is help in the fine aim and final sight alingment while remaining fairly relaxed to pull the trigger cleanly.

Now that said, these days my support-hand grip is STRONG compared to how it's been in the past, but because of the grip-strength training it's also much more relaxed... I don't know, I've really become a big believer in grip-strength training for shooting, it's helped me A LOT, probably more than even dry-fire or the other usual things.

Also, I find the benefits of a stronger support-hand idelivers particularly well specifically with the Glock, their frame allows one to really make use of a high and strong support-hand grip to drive the gun and frees up the strong-hand to prep and really consistently get a surprise break out of the trigger. Enough so that I've seen my times and accuracy with them start to pretty much rival and cancel out what any and all advantages I get from the sweet SA trigger and heft of my SSTK gun, if I was still shooting Glocks as regularly I bet I'd actually be faster with one now.

• 1 month later...

CoC No. 2 is on the way, grip, and overall better sight-tracking and shooting consistency just seems to increase steadily along with my grip strength... Yet another "thanks benos forum" occurrence. :)

Edited by ck1

• 3 weeks later...