Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No dot and nailed target on 1st shot?

-XX-

Forget to turn my dot on this weekend and nailed the first plate on a Texas Star with first shot.

Obviously need to work on routine.

1st thought, the work on index is paying off.

2nd thought, should I have broken the shot when obviously I did not see everything I should (the dot)? I knew instantly what had happened and next move was to turn it on.

your index is apparently quite good, but as you brought up: Why are you shooting before you see the sight picture you need to (in your case, a little red dot on the target)?

May be that this was a confirmation of the old axiom "Even the blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while." ???;)

And that is what I'm thinking. So a couple ideas, Dry fire draws and just preload trigger without breaking shot and live fire draw practice from longer distances, say 20-25 yards, where seeing dot is mandatory for good shot. Draw is not exactly lightning at about 1.3 inside of 10 yards and started this stuff about a year ago. Just want to correct it now if its a problem.

Seeing the dot Should be mandatory for Every shot. To paraphrase our host... See what you need to see.

Not to minimize what others have already said but...

Hopefully one of the "real" students of shooting will chime in with something to help you.