Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sling for 3 gun rifle and shotgun

Mattog22

I did a search and someone said VTAC, is this the most widely used sling for shotgun and rifle? I'm going to shoot my first 3-gun that requires slings on rifles and shotguns so I wanted to find out what I should get. I don't want to waste money trying different things and would rather just get the stuff that works right off the bat, even if it costs a little more. I am shooting an AR-10 with a free float handguard that does have a forearm swivel. My shotgun is a Benelli Supernova. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Matt

VTAC 2-point padded sling. It's 1" webbing where it's not padded so it works well with both the Uncle Mikes QD style sling mounts (if you use JP rails or similar) or the beefier tactical style QD mounts that use picatinny rails. Don't skimp for a cheaper version - get the VTAC or VCAS (Blue Force Gear/Vickers Tactical) style. Some of the cheaper knockoffs use a slightly less durable webbing for the sling and it quickly becomes worn out which causes the friction adapter/slider to creep loose easily.

I have been happy with my Magpul MS2 sling. I like the adaptability of making it a 1 or 2 point sling. The webbing is a bit thin, but its not like you will be out on patrol with it...

If using a 1 point sling, watch how you set it up... Learn how to handle it, or wear a cup...

eta: I use a blackhawk sling adapter on my shotgun, and also have a nordic clamp w/ sling loop out front - so I can use the same 1 or 2 point sling set up as my ar.

Edited by HS101

Thanks guys, I was looking at the Uncle Mikes QD swivels and it looks like you have to find the model that fits your gun? Since my supernoval only needs the actual swivel part and not the stud I just need to order the cheapest model since I won't be using the swivel studs provided? The other question is do I use the spot already on the Supernova at the end of the handguard area or should I get something to attach it to the barrel clamp? The barrel is a 24" and a nordic tube that holds 9 so it's flush with the barrel.

My slings are not those used by most of the other shooters. I like to buy standard rifle slings and attach them to my sling points with a short length of surgical tubing so the elastic portion helps steady the gun. Would I take that into combat? Heck no but given that most battle slings are made for combat, I would not take most of them to play our game.

My slings are not those used by most of the other shooters. I like to buy standard rifle slings and attach them to my sling points with a short length of surgical tubing so the elastic portion helps steady the gun. Would I take that into combat? Heck no but given that most battle slings are made for combat, I would not take most of them to play our game.

That sounds interesting. If you don't mind, when you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic to understand what you mean.

All I am doing is taking a length of surgical tubing and tying the sling to the sling points. I only use it on one end and it takes about 20 inches. I double it through and tie the know to the sling and it loops through the sling point. On my rifle, the tubing is on the forearm sling point. Om my rifle I use it on the butt sling point. You shoulc be able to buy this stuff where ever they sell flyfishing stuff and surgical tubing has lots of other uses. If you use anything other than surgical rubber it will go brittle and break rather rapidly.

I really like my VTAC padded 2 point. I also use a Blackhawk that can be used as either one point or two point, and it is a nice sling. Just not as comfortable or easy to adjust as the VTAC. I also had a problem where the blackhawk worked its way off once and fell off during a course of fire.

I really like the VTAC for transitioning to pistol. It feels solid and inspires more confidence. We transition rifle to pistol and back, while still hot (loaded).

• 2 weeks later...

VTAC 2-point padded sling. It's 1" webbing where it's not padded so it works well with both the Uncle Mikes QD style sling mounts (if you use JP rails or similar) or the beefier tactical style QD mounts that use picatinny rails. Don't skimp for a cheaper version - get the VTAC or VCAS (Blue Force Gear/Vickers Tactical) style. Some of the cheaper knockoffs use a slightly less durable webbing for the sling and it quickly becomes worn out which causes the friction adapter/slider to creep loose easily.

+1 on the VTAC

A word of advise on the slings- take them off on every stage which does not require them. Otherwise, they will hang up on every tree branch within 3' at the most inopportune time. Not that I would have personal experience with this or anything.....

• 3 years later...

Anyone know about the Gear Dynamic Slings that are Easily adjustable.... Allows you to keep the rifle tight while running but can be pulled loose quickly when shouldering the firearm? I think Magpul has one with it as well..