Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 40 & Georgia Arms Canned Heat 180 gr

climber

I recently purchased a Storm Lake threaded barrel for my XDM 40 for use with a suppressor. I don't have the suppressor yet so that is not a factor in the equation. I bought 1000 rounds of GA-Canned Heat 180 gr. It runs fine in my XD40SC, but will fail to feed quite frequently (at least once every magazine) in my XDM 40 in both the stock barrel and Storm Lake barrel. I put 100 rounds of PMC Bronze 165 gr (round nose) through the Storm Lake barrel without an issue and many many more previously in the stock barrel without issue. Speer Gold Dot FMJ-HP 180 gr & 155 gr cycle fine as well.

I have attached pictures. You will see two types of malfunctions pictured: (1) the round doesn't even come all the way out of the magazine and (2) a more common looking failure to feed where the round is almost chambered but no cigar. To reproduce the problem I was having at the range I would load a magazine, and either drop the slide using the slide release or sling-shot the slide. It did not matter which method I used, failure to feed malfunctions still occurred. From my research it seems that the bullet profile could be the problem.

I am quite fired up about this issue. I'm _this_ close to selling the pistol and moving on, which is unfortunate because I literally just got it back from Springer Precision with TFOs and a damn nice 4.0 lb trigger job. I would loose a lot of money if I were to sell. PLEASE NOTE THESE FAILURE TO FEED ISSUES WERE OCCURRING BEFORE I SENT THE GUN TO SPRINGER. I AM NOT TRYING TO GET DOWN ON SPRINGER.

Edit:

Also, I swapped out the recoil spring with a 18 lb Wolff spring and it the FTFs still occurred. The OAL of the Georgia arms ammo was anywhere from 1.110 to 1.119.

post-21698-077631500 1298763216_thumb.jp

post-21698-040644500 1298763276_thumb.jp

post-21698-078170900 1298763297_thumb.jp

Edited by climber

All I've ever shot out of my XDM40 is TC ammo, whether it be handloaded or WWB. No issues at all. I suggest you try some Winchester White box TC ammo, and see if it's doing the same thing as the GA-Canned heat ammo. If it isn't, then it's an ammo problem with the canned heat, and you'll have to find a replacement source of ammo. Try Atlanta Arms and Ammo...

All I've ever shot out of my XDM40 is TC ammo, whether it be handloaded or WWB. No issues at all. I suggest you try some Winchester White box TC ammo, and see if it's doing the same thing as the GA-Canned heat ammo. If it isn't, then it's an ammo problem with the canned heat, and you'll have to find a replacement source of ammo. Try Atlanta Arms and Ammo...

GrumpyOne,

What is your OAL for your handloaded TC ammo for you XDM40? Also, if you have any WWB TC on hand I'd appreciate it if you could measure the OAL of that as well.

Thanks

I measured the WWB that I have 165gr, low 1.121 High 1.128 I measured 10rds. The reloading book that I reffer to(Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee), for most of the 180 gr bullets MIN OAL is 1.125, only 2 loads state 1.100.

I measured the WWB that I have 165gr, low 1.121 High 1.128 I measured 10rds. The reloading book that I reffer to(Modern Reloading, by Richard Lee), for most of the 180 gr bullets MIN OAL is 1.125, only 2 loads state 1.100.

Interesting, I'm seeing about 1.110 to 1.119. I called GA arms and will be doing an exchange for my remaining rounds. I'm not hopeful.

GrumpyOne,

What is your OAL for your handloaded TC ammo for you XDM40? Also, if you have any WWB TC on hand I'd appreciate it if you could measure the OAL of that as well.

Thanks

I have 3 different 40's I load for, and they all work with the same OAL....1.125...I don't have any WWB on hand, but I see someone has measured them for you...

Check you magazine springs. In the first photo, it appears that the round is nose-diving into the feed ramp. When the spring wears out it'll cause the round to hit the bottom of the ramp and get stuck. I've noticed on my xdm that the mag springs are comparatively weak when compared to the springs in my limited guns. They have a couple less coils than the springs in my other mags. The xdm runs fine with all sorts of ammo. I've run everything from cast lead reloads to hollow point self-defense loads. One thing I have noticed is that the chamber is very tight on my xdm. I chamber check all my rounds. Even with factory ammo I get maybe one out of 100 rounds that won't chamber.

Check you magazine springs. In the first photo, it appears that the round is nose-diving into the feed ramp. When the spring wears out it'll cause the round to hit the bottom of the ramp and get stuck. I've noticed on my xdm that the mag springs are comparatively weak when compared to the springs in my limited guns. They have a couple less coils than the springs in my other mags. The xdm runs fine with all sorts of ammo. I've run everything from cast lead reloads to hollow point self-defense loads. One thing I have noticed is that the chamber is very tight on my xdm. I chamber check all my rounds. Even with factory ammo I get maybe one out of 100 rounds that won't chamber.

Same two malfunctions happen with brand new magazines.