Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use a RCBS Pro 2000

cache

I'm looking into getting a progressive reloader, and I would like to learn about all the available options. I've read a lot about the various Dillon machines and the Hornady LNL, but I haven't seen much on the RCBS Pro 2000. Does anybody have any feedback on the Pro 2000?

I've owned a Hornady, now own Dillon 1050s. I have loaded on a 550B and 650.

I am not even sure if I have ever seen the RCBS except in pictures.

Go to the RCBS and download the manuals and watch any videos.

I see that their case-activated powder measure system is either licensed from Hornady or a direct copy.

Go to YouTube and look for videos for "RCBS Pro 2000." Guys like showing off their presses.

I use a RCBS Pro 2000 and love it. I also owned a dillon 650 with case feeder and it was a good machine also, however, it was a bit over engineered for my needs. Good if you need mass production but expensive and somewhat complicated to change calibers or primer size. I sold it and got the rcbs....much easier to use when experimenting with different loads and not as many plastic wear parts. I also prefer the RCBS priming system over the Dillon. Both machines have excellent warranty support. Both machines have their pros and cons but either will serve you well.

I have an RCBS Pro 2000, and just recently updated to the auto index kit.

I think it has it's place, and I to some extent wish I had went Dillon, for where I was at the time, it was the right choice, and still works well now.

The powder measure works great, never had any issues with it, however it is not a powder through expander, so you need to have a separate expander die, or use a Dillon measure.

The auto index works fine, and the priming system works fairly well. Occasionally I get an upside down primer. I talked to RCBS and they told me to slow down on the priming part of the downstroke, and the probably has pretty much went away. The APS priming strips work well, and the primer strip filler works well, I do prefer it over primer pick up tubes, however if I had one of the dillon primer tube fillers I may feel differently.

The biggest downside is no case feeder available, or likely to become available. If it had a case feeder, I'd be extremely happy with it.

Caliber conversions are really easy, and that is the real plus side of it, and why I purchased it. Changing primer sizes is one bolt out, and a different one back in essentially. The toolheads don't include the powder measure, so you have to reset the powder measure, but you also don't need a bunch of powder measures, so it's cheaper. Shell plates are one bolt to change, toolheads are two pins. If I have toolheads set up, changing primer sizes, shell plates, primer plates, and resetting the powder measure would be a 5 minute job.

I load a large number of different calibers, which is why I chose the RCBS. Many of those calibers have brass worth enough I can't justify keeping 1000's of each brass on hand, so I do have to set up for each caliber at least once a year, some many times.

Production rate is easily 300 an hour for rifle, and 400 for pistol (this was before the auto index, I have not used it enough since I got it to get a real feel for speed with the auto index yet, but it should go up). I was using the RCBS lube dies, they are a good concept, but don't work well for that long, and cause more trouble then they are worth, I went to using spray lube before I start, and now I make out much better. In fact my rifle production is probably catching up to my pistol production rates now.

I know have a Dillon 1050 set up with conversions for 9mm, 38/357 and 45 acp, and would like to get a few more for it, as there is certainly hands down no comparison, but I can't justify the costs of conversions for most of my calibers, or the cost of enough brass to warrant converting it.

For my multitude of rifle calibers that I load, the RCBS works quite well, I am considering a bullet feeder of some make, since the case feeder isn't an option, as that would speed things up greatly if I only had to handle the brass.

In short, for lots of caliber changes and production runs of 200-500 rounds before conversion, the RCBS is fantastic, if doing larger runs then that, find something with a case feeder for the speed increase.

Scar hit it on the head with the Pro2000. I've loaded on the Pro2000 since 2001. However, I now own two Dillon 650's with case feeders. But, I'll never let my Pro2000 go.

If you load several calibers, you really can't beat the Pro2000. RCBS service is excellent.

I do not have the auto index and will probably never add it given I've got a couple Dillons.