Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pact Professional XP Chronograph

OK, so I really wish I knew of this forum before I bought the Pact Professional XP Chronograph a couple of years ago! After doing a search, I found many have issues with Pact. That being said, I still have issues with this unit. It has been back twice and still has issues! Every time I call them, they give me more "stand on your head and try this"....which never works either. (sorry for the rant!). I keep having the error of "no start signal detected". I have followed all the pact protocol...keep wires separated, head tilted, proper distance of chrono. from bench, etc and still get the error message. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly, know of a resolution. The only thing I have not tried is their last suggestion...Since it has IR...make up a lead hooked up to a 6V dry cell and use the IR only. I really don't think I should have to go through all that, I just want a machine to give me the detail I need! Thanks

My late wife bought me mine 8 or 9 years ago and the only real problem I have is keeping the sensor intact - I keep shooting them. :angry2:

If you are using IR, then build a chrono coffin to house it in and the sensors will work better.

I made up a power supply for mine too.

Thanks RePete! I really was hoping not to have to do that, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything. For the price of the unit, I should be able to throw it on the ground and have it work! (OK...maybe not!) It is the last thing I'll try I guess. Sometimes, it even gives me the error just sitting on the table with nothing else happening. Just frustrated I guess....

• 2 weeks later...

My late wife bought me mine 8 or 9 years ago and the only real problem I have is keeping the sensor intact - I keep shooting them. :angry2:

If you are using IR, then build a chrono coffin to house it in and the sensors will work better.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but here it goes....

How do uou make the 6v power supply? Do you remove the plug and attach the wires to the battery? Wire an outlet to the dry cell then plug the plug into the now 6v outlet? I called Pact to ask them and the most I got out of them was "Just use a 6v dry cell and hook it up". It's the hook it up part is what I'm wondering about.

Thanks in advance!

Are the sensor housings in all black, or are they black and red?

Mine are black.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but here it goes....

How do uou make the 6v power supply? Do you remove the plug and attach the wires to the battery? Wire an outlet to the dry cell then plug the plug into the now 6v outlet? I called Pact to ask them and the most I got out of them was "Just use a 6v dry cell and hook it up". It's the hook it up part is what I'm wondering about.

Thanks in advance!

Not a dumb question. The dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

Your require

2 plugs for the sensors.

2 x 8 feet of telephone wire - not the stiff wire.

4 aligator clips - 2 red and 2 black.

1 6v lantern battery (buy a cheap latern because the replacement batteries are $3 more).

Strip the wires back about 1/2" or so, connect the red wire to the center pin of the plug and the black to the shell - do this with both wires.

At the other end attach the red aligator clip to the red wire and black to black - do this with both wires.

attach the red clips to the +ve side of the battery and the black to the-ve side. Plug into the sensors and they will be powered.

OR

Get a CED nicad pack but you may have to change the plugs.

The sensors were originally black. I sent it in once and they replaced them with the red and black ones. It did not resolve the issue. I just picked up a dry cell and will use the supplied power supply cord. I plan to just dut it off and splice the ends so I can use AC and/or DC. I still think it should have worked as "advertised" though.

• 5 months later...

OK... after hooking it up to the 6V battery, I still get the "no start signal" error message again. I just finished reading the "best chrono" posts and while the CED seems to have a big following, there are a couple of people who claim it does not work with rifle bullets very well. This has me concerned because I mostly play with rifles. Any ideas on a repair or a better choice for a replacement chronograph? I'm just beside myself upset with PACT !!