Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 550 powder measure setup

KevenW

I got my new 550 put together yesterday. I am a little confused on the powder measure setup on 223. The directions say to push the handle forward into the priming position and screw the blue finger adjust on the end of the steel rod till it just contacts the white plastic piece that goes through the bracket on the press. I did this, but on the linkage of the powder measure, should it go all the way forward/ should the powder bar go all the way to the front? seems like it should so as to fill the powder compartment all the way. To make it do this I have to screw the blue thumb screw much farther than the directions say. Thanks for any advice!!

I take it you have the new style powder measure...There should be two pieces of metal that the failsafe rod goes into at the measure (the steel rod you speak is the failsafe rod). It should be tightened till the outer piece of metal at the measure is pulled down, compressing that little spring. Do not over tighten. I prefer the old type measures, but have several of the newer type. I just add springs tot hem to help move the powder bar back to the "load" powder position.

post-18733-062703700 1298231544_thumb.jp