Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

main spring?

JOHNNYGLOCK

I am trying to figure out what is the stock # weight of a stock 92fs main spring and what is the # of a "D" spring? I am curently playing with my 92 trigger pull and going to order some 1911 main springs to try. I already have a "D" spring and dont want to get a 1911 spring that is in this weight. I want to say that the original is 18# and the "D" is 17#, is this correct?

I believe the stock hammer spring is 20#. Not sure about the "D."

Wolff Springs sells a calibration pack that includes a 16,17,18, and 19# spring. (others available)

The following is from a post on the Beretta Forum: (shows the results of different hammer springs)

Installed Dave Olhasso's competition spring in all three and went to the range today Fri 7-28-06.

Statistics of three springs:

92FS--Trigger pull factory spring = DA 11.8lb

SA = 5.55lb

Trigger pull with "D" spring DA = 8.10lb

SA = 4.00lb

Trigger pull with "Comp" spring DA =8.0

SA = 3.8

-------------------------------------------------

96 Brig. Trigger factory spring DA = 12.0lb

SA = 6.60lb

Trigger pull with "D" spring DA = 9.10lb

SA = 5.10lb

Trigger pull with Comp" spring DA = 8.0

SA = 4.1

--------------------------------------------------

90-Two Factory spring DA = 10.0 lb

SA = 5.0

Trigger pull with "Comp" spring DA= 8.0lb

SA = 4.0

Used Lyman Digital Trigger Pull Gauge.

Each pull weight was derived at by averaging 10 pulls for each stat.

This is from about 4-5 years ago, so my memory may not be perfectly accurate. Somewhere I read that a D spring was a 19 lb 1911 mainspring. I tried it and the 19 lb seemed pretty heavy. Start with a 17 or 16 if you're trying to go light.

Ok Thanks for the info. If the original is 20# 19 seams about right for the D. I have already cut 2 coils of my D spring and it works well with FED 100's and I think my DBL pull is about 7.5#. I will try 17 and 16 and see if the reliability is better with other primers.

• 3 weeks later...

The factory standard weight is 20 lbs. The "D" spring weight is 16 lbs, according to my discussion with Wolff.

Best, Jon

The D is 16#'s? Wow thxs for the info! This is what Wolff told you? Good thing I have not ordered any springs yet, I will be trying a lot of spring weights when I do order.

The factory standard weight is 20 lbs. The "D" spring weight is 16 lbs, according to my discussion with Wolff.

Best, Jon

The D is 16#'s? Wow thxs for the info! This is what Wolff told you? Good thing I have not ordered any springs yet, I will be trying a lot of spring weights when I do order.

Yep. I spoke with Dave at Wolff; he's quite knowledgeable. I shoot my 92D in IDPA and steel plate competitions, and plan on using it in our upcoming Washington State IDPA match in August, so I ordered some back-up springs-mainspring (16lbs), triggerbar spring, slide release spring, and recoil spring (13 lb-factory standard weight). When my OEM trigger return spring broke a month ago, I replaced it with the Wolff coil spring Trigger Conversion Unit return spring set-up; Dave recommended that I go with the reduced power unit, and I'm quite pleased with it (and don't have to worry about the trigger return spring breaking in the future-even though Beretta eventually got around to increasing the longevity/durability of the OEM spring).

Best, Jon