Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ATI 22 cal 1911

gunner40sw

Has anybody bought one of these or shot one? I was thinking of ordering one if I can get some feed back on them. No one has any around here so I would have to order one sight unseen. Do they come with steel slides or aluminum.

Or would I be better off going the way of the STI or Tactical solutions conversion route.

Thanks

ATI is the Importer for the GSG 1911. I got one recently ($339.00 at my local gun shop). It has a lot of potential. It runs good and the magazines seem bullet-proof. Very nicely made.

The arched mainspring housing is not very good for me. I have a flat one I am putting on. The grip safety needs an adjustment as well. It takes an awfully hard squeeze to de-activate it. The trigger breaks better than most out of the box 1911's I have played with. I am not going to touch the trigger just yet. The ambi safety is a nice touch but the thumb side for right hand shooting has a pointy end that should have been radiused, the off side is, time to get out the dremel. My last dislike is the sights. Plastic with 3 greenish dots. I have a set of Dawsons that should arrive today.

I have a pet peeve gripe as well that I am fixing at the same time I do the other work. It seems to have an overabundance of writing all over both sides of the slide and the right side of the frame. The manufacturer name, the importer name, the ownrs manual caution, logo, etc all lazer engraved so they appear silver with the matte black finish. I am re-finishing the entire pistol flat black to cover all that nonsense.

I'll post up some before and after pictures when its all done.

Got it done with the mods i made. Incredible improvement to an already pretty good .22 cal 1911. It is a pleasant surprise as to ite reliability. It so far has shot 100%. I was even doing magazine unloading as fast as could pull the trigger, trying to trip it up. All I did was have a lot of fun.

post-6767-023311000 1298039999_thumb.jpg post-6767-058289700 1298040033_thumb.jpg

post-6767-004303200 1298039987_thumb.jpg post-6767-093874800 1298040022_thumb.jpg

post-6767-076196100 1298040009_thumb.jpg post-6767-047823200 1298040044_thumb.jpg

If anyone gets one and also wants to change to a flat MS housing make sure you get the mainspring retaining pin as well because the one in the original is not compatible. Replacing this also removes the magazine disconect safety. The sight dovetails are also perfect Novak low mount cuts. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Can you tell us exactly what sights you used (i.e. part numbers even?) and how much (if any) fitting did they require? Thanks.

They are Dawson/Novak low mount rear and Dawson Novak front. The front sight is a custom hieght to match the point of impact, and I believe its height is .193. If you talk to the guys at Dawson and order the set, they will work with you to get the exact height you need.

Fitting is eactly as any other 1911 i have done, file and stone the sight until it almost goes all the way in, then press or tap the rest of the way.

I Cant speak for the ATI pistol you are inquiring about but I just wanted to say stay away from the Chiappa pistols. I handled one and got to test fire one. In one word.....garbage. The thing is so loose I'm surprised it stays in one piece. The thing really reminds me of one of those crossman BB pistols by its finish and fitment and it's (lack of) accuracy. I see the ATI is german made piece, it is probably not a bad buy. The germans have a good reputation for quality.

I can say that if you decide to go with a conversion top end, I suggest the Tactical Solutions unit. I just got one and it's an awsome, reliable, and accurate piece of equipment. I just wrote up a review with test targets on it in this forum.

Thanks for the sight info. I will probably get the Dawson Novak adjustable rear. My GSG shoots exactly to point of aim (@7 yards, pintops range) with the stock rear sight and the tallest (#3) stock front sight.