Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 mags sometimes won't drop free at slidelock?

ck1

It's not the bushings or grip screws, not the mags (they're new and in-spec), and not the sear spring sneaking into the mag channel... actually, pretty sure it's the mag release.

It's an Ed Brown extended "tactical" mag release in an STI Trojan 9mm, mags are Wilson ETM's... thoughts? (thinking I need to do a little file work or something)

TIA.

If I press the button all the way down hard and fast I can catch the magazine before it drops out. STI Trojan 45ACP with Ed Brown extended magazine release.

The mags drop normally unless I try to "catch" them.

You can correct this by removing material from the button/mag side of the mag catch where it is pinching the mag.

I had the same problem a while ago. The mags dropped free when the slide was in battery but did not drop free when in slidelock. I removed and polished the slide release, clipped a coil off the slide release spring, polished the "wells" in the pistol, polished the sides of the magazines, waxed the mags, did everything else I could think of and nothing worked well. A friend suggested I change to a full length guide rod and, presto, the problem was solved. I hope this helps. M.

I had the same problem a while ago. The mags dropped free when the slide was in battery but did not drop free when in slidelock. I removed and polished the slide release, clipped a coil off the slide release spring, polished the "wells" in the pistol, polished the sides of the magazines, waxed the mags, did everything else I could think of and nothing worked well. A friend suggested I change to a full length guide rod and, presto, the problem was solved. I hope this helps. M.

Now that makes no sense. :wacko:

I had a similar problem, only my gun wouldn’t always go to slide lock. The mag would get stuck in the gun and I had to pull them out. It turns out the frame’s mag tunnel was too wide which allowed the follower to slip by the slide stop and get stuck. Sounds like you might have a different problem but I’ll mention this just in case.

If I press the button all the way down hard and fast I can catch the magazine before it drops out. STI Trojan 45ACP with Ed Brown extended magazine release.

The mags drop normally unless I try to "catch" them.

You can correct this by removing material from the button/mag side of the mag catch where it is pinching the mag.

Pretty sure this is it right here.

Just detail stripped and gave it the deluxe treatment, can only replicate the issue if I do the "catch" as described, think I'll polish and de-burr the mag release just to be careful, but thus far, think I'm cured. Thanks!