Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Imovie and Quicktime help

steel1212

Ok so I'm trying to do my first full movie with Imovie 11 and I'm having issues once I share it to my desktop using Quicktime. The audio plays fine but the video is like its in slow mo. I'm uploading it to youtube to see if its still the same there as well. I would like to be able to watch the finished product from my desktop though with out the slow down video. What am I doing wrong?

That's with '09 but it should work the same. What version of Quicktime are you running, I've got 10.0 and I've not seen video slo-mo issues at all.

Just had another thought. What kind of MAC do you have? I am wondering if you are view a full HD movie using Quicktime and perhaps you don't have enough video ram or something, the amount of data in a 1080p movie is astonishing. When I was recording the Women at the USPSA Nationals I had to clear some same off my hard-drive to store it all, it was over 60Gb !

Edited by BritinUSA

Also when you import are you importing on the large or full setting? Does it make a difference say if your watching it full screen? I know there is a pretty good size difference.

One more thing when you go to share do you use best or better compression? I want the best full screen viewing but if I can't tell the difference between the large/full and better/best I'll go with what uploads quicker and takes up less room.

Edited by steel1212

Na I've been running 1080HD video before I upgraded but there was a setting not right or something. I have a 08 IMac and I have 250gig of HD space left after I found where Imovies was storing all the raw video data and projects and I got rid of the older ones.

I used the full-setting to import into iMovie. I wanted to keep the quality as high as possible. The problem I had was when I came to record the movie onto a DVD.

DVD's are incapable of holding hi-def movies. I lost so much image quality it was unreal, I started exporting in MPEG4 and playing the file on my Blue-Ray was like watching it live, the difference was amazing. I think FinalCut now has Blue-Ray support for burning but I'm hesitant to fork over all the dollars up front.

I used the full-setting to import into iMovie. I wanted to keep the quality as high as possible. The problem I had was when I came to record the movie onto a DVD.

DVD's are incapable of holding hi-def movies. I lost so much image quality it was unreal, I started exporting in MPEG4 and playing the file on my Blue-Ray was like watching it live, the difference was amazing. I think FinalCut now has Blue-Ray support for burning but I'm hesitant to fork over all the dollars up front.

Can you explain to me why if I leave it on the Mpeg4 setting that it is so laggy through quicktime but when I change it to the H.264 its fine? Which is best for youtube and which is best to download to DVD? Also if you can't burn to a blue ray how where you playing it on a blue ray.....sorry I'm computer illiterate!

There's an explanation of the difference between MPEG4 and H.264 and this site --> Link... Its something to do with bit-rates..

My Blue-Ray player has a USB port... I dumped the MPEG4/H.264 file onto it and it can play it perfectly.

I think if you use iDVD to burn to DVD that it has only a few options in how the data is written, its in the preferences pane somewhere. I would use the H.264 for YouTube as it seems to have a faster bit-rate.

Edited by BritinUSA

There's an explanation of the difference between MPEG4 and H.264 and this site --> Link... Its something to do with bit-rates..

My Blue-Ray player has a USB port... I dumped the MPEG4/H.264 file onto it and it can play it perfectly.

I think if you use iDVD to burn to DVD that it has only a few options in how the data is written, its in the preferences pane somewhere. I would use the H.264 for YouTube as it seems to have a faster bit-rate.

Thanks that explains a lot! I do mostly youtube but at the end of the year I take all my buddies videos and put them on a DVD for them and they never come out very good but at least they have them on a hard copy and their youtube site. So basically there is no good way to get good quality onto a DVD?

If there is, I haven't found it...Basically DVD stores images in 720p. If you get a Widescreen movie what they do is horizontally squish the movie and then the player opens it out again (anamorphic).

When you try to jam a 1080p onto a DVD it's like trying to force 1.5 pints into a pint glass.... its just not going to work well.

Apple, for some reason is not getting in on the Blue-Ray format... I have no idea why, unless they are working on the next "One more thing" that will take digital video to a new level. The Apple TV works on that kind of form, using the network to download your movies instead of using the Blue-Ray... But that does not work for home movies.... etc.

Not sure what the future holds... Most people still have regular DVD players in Computers and attached to their TVs so just burning Movies onto Blue-Ray is not much help to them....

Edited by BritinUSA

UGH on the full import setting and trying to upload to youtube was litterly going to take me all days or 18 hours for a 2 minute vid. It was 2gig in size. That is just to big for me. I'm importing on the large setting and I'll try again when I get back home biggrin.gif

Ok so I've got to import on the large setting, share in Mpeg-4 if I want to upload to youtube in less than an hour. If I try to share in H.264 it is going to take me 4 hours to do so. The Mpeg-4 is 100mg and the H.264 is 600mg. Problem is the Mpeg-4 sucks if I'm trying to watch it on my computer. The audio isn't in sync with the video. There has to be a compromise somewhere as this is going to suck at the end of the year when I try to make DVDs.  The H.264 is great though I would just have to upload one video at night and let it run I guess which might be what I have to end up doing.<div><br></div><div>This is the camera I have: http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_cg20/spec.html  Should I be importing it a certain way?  I can't do full as it ends up being to big so I did large but maybe when I'm making the movie I should select one of the other frame rates or aspect ratios?  </div>

Edited by steel1212

dvd's cannot hold all the data required for true HD. but, you can come close. i have game 5 of the world series on my DVR. i used elgato's video capture to pull it into my mac. then, i rendered it into h264 at 1080. the files took days to render, but finished with the game taking over 30 MB. then, used toast titanium's hi def blu-ray plugin to create the files on standard dvd. watch them on blu ray and they are pretty close to quality of the program off the DVR.

• 2 weeks later...

After a painstaking series of tests I finally found a good balance between picture quality and size that will work for my web-site (I didn't want to use YouTube). I exported using Quicktime with the settings shown in the graphic below. These resulted in movies files that are about 10Mb in size for videos that are around the two minute mark. This seems to work well for showing 2-4 stages. I ignored the HD settings and went with a custom 640x360 screen size which is about 1.77 ratio.

post-293-032429500 1298781527_thumb.jpg

Using Quicktime Pro on the resulting .mov file allows me to add a custom graphic to each video, which my current version of iMovie does not allow me to do... The videos only take a few seconds to start downloading with this setup.

Some examples are on the Video Page on BritinUSA.net

Edited by BritinUSA