Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reverse plug hat style technical difficulties

zero-down

At the end of last season I picked up a used open gun that is cut for a reverse plug. The gun came with the hat style and a 2 piece guide rod. The plug looks like this

ReversePlugStd.jpg

Well today I actually got a chance to give the gun a test run and I immed ran into problems. After a couple of shots, the plug is rotating in place and the lip "hat" is catching the barrel at the back of the cycle. This is binding the gun up. The slide gets jammed open and it took some good coaxing with my palm to get it to close. Is there a proper way to set this up that I did not follow? Should I just ditch this thing and go with a regular reverse plug? I'm open to all options and suggestions.

That's an old school style recoil spring plug. Make sure the plug fits with the flats engaging the slide. A shoulder style plug won't work properly with a slide that's been cut for that kind of plug. It shouldn't rotate when seated properly. I've dealt with a few of those over the years. :rolleyes:

That's an old school style recoil spring plug. Make sure the plug fits with the flats engaging the slide. A shoulder style plug won't work properly with a slide that's been cut for that kind of plug. It shouldn't rotate when seated properly. I've dealt with a few of those over the years. :rolleyes:

That sounds to be my problem. The plug freely rotates in the slide with or without a spring. It looks new so I'm guessing the previous owner threw it on there before shipping the gun and never actually used it. I've got a regular reverse plug on the way and hopefully that solves the problem. Thanks for the responses.