Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help porting my slide

Daniel Rice

I am a 16 year old Junior shooter. I go to a ROP machining class about 5 times a week. i am looking to port my slide. I have never used a Mill before and have no idea what exactly im doing. I was looking at ported slides on the internet, so far what i like is the ports on Robby Leatham's gun. I just got a new barrel fit to my gun and i dont wanna ruin the slide.is there anything i need to know before i begin the project

Couple questions: How much space do i leave between the port and the locking lugs, and much space between the front site and the port.

post-22610-040954000 1297131033_thumb.pn

Diddo on scrap practice. Big time on that one.

The top of the slide is not parallel with the bottom of the slide. There is about 1* slope to the top, towards the front. If you just put the slide on parallels and try to flat top it, you'll find that out really quick.

Always zero your work (level) before cutting even simple slots.

The Kuhnhausen 1911 books are great sources for info too.

I think I'd practice on more than one piece of scrap :o

You aren't using that gun for Single Stack, are you? I only ask because of the Kimber logo in your avatar...not too many Kimbers used in Limited (although some in L10, I'm sure). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Hello: First what is the pistol going to be used for? If you plan to play one of the gun games make sure you are not going to make the gun illegal or put it into a division where it can't compete. If it will be just a play gun then do what you want but it may make the pistol lose value :surprise: If the slide is stainless or has been hardened then you will need carbide cutters for a better finish. Are you learning anything in the machine class yet? I am kinda surprised that taking a class 5 days a week you have not touched a milling machine yet. That is what I started on along with a lathe. The drill press was one of the last machines my dad would let me use. But then again I was only 6 years old. There are some very good machine shop magazines that make projects that you may look at as well. Home Shop machinist is one of them and also Digital machinist. Like the others have stated start on scrap pieces of steel but actually make something you can use even if it a candy dish. I also would do a drawing first and make the part to the drawing. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric