Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Match

Erik S.

Well, I shot my second USPSA match this past Saturday and I'm just thinking that I have all these things in my brain but can't seem to put them all together in a fluid manner!

The mind game of when to reload and actually executing my plan

order in which to engage targets and actually executing my plan

Moving to next shooting box quickly while reloading

These two things in particular seem to be getting me. Maybe I'm taking it slower which might be a good thing, but can't help but think I should be bolting to the next shooting position instead of jogging while I reload. I seem to KNOW all these things, but have trouble putting them all together.

Please tell me, with practice, will all these skills I practice eventually come together as they become second nature?

Edited by Erik S.

Yes... They will. With practice.

I'm about 2 years in now. Now, my good reloads... I don't even know I did them...

I'm STILL working on transition splits.

I'm STILL working on shooting targets coming into/out of positions.

I'm STILL working on transitioning between FAST trigger squeezes in close, and slow presses at distance.

And I'm a "strong" B, close to A Class in Production.

Practice your reloads, and target transitions, and trigger press, at home. And shoot as many matches as you can. Go FAST one week, and then slow down and make hits the next (my advice). Eventually, you'll have both!

Jeff

Well, I shot my second USPSA match this past Saturday and I'm just thinking that I have all these things in my brain but can't seem to put them all together in a fluid manner!

The mind game of when to reload and actually executing my plan What division are you competing in? For Production, you want to reload whenever there is a convenient break. You may reload after 2 shots, if it means you can take the next array with one mag. Goal is no standing reloads. Same idea for L-10. I don't shoot Limited, so I'll let others answer that

order in which to engage targets and actually executing my plan Generally, if you are a right hand shooter, you want to try to shoot the arrays/targets from left to right. Reason is when you reload, your muzzle will naturally be pointing downrange. As far as which targets in a particular array, hard to say without seeing them. However, if you have steel activators, if the activated target is slow enough, you may want to shoot the steel to activate, shoot a static target, come back to the activated one. Most helpful on swingers...drop turners not so much unless they're set to turn twice

Moving to next shooting box quickly while reloading

These two things in particular seem to be getting me. Maybe I'm taking it slower which might be a good thing, but can't help but think I should be bolting to the next shooting position instead of jogging while I reload. I seem to KNOW all these things, but have trouble putting them all together. Goal is to finish your reload by your first step, or second. I say goal because this will take a while to master. You don't want to be reloading while moving if you can help it. Think about reloading quickly then running to next array. There will be times when you will have to run backwards or at an angle backwards, when that occurs I usually eject mag, pull new one, while running back, and only seat it when I get to the next array. I like to concentrate on keeping the muzzle downrange, not executing a perfect reload. As i get to the next array, I plant foot to set up, and then seat mag and fire.

This is just the opinion of one person, this isn't the only way to do it, just the way I like to do it.

Please tell me, with practice, will all these skills I practice eventually come together as they become second nature? Yes, especially if you dry fire, dry fire, dry fire...and practice reloads. You don't need to fire live rounds to practice. Also, watch the other shooters, see what they do, especially the good shooters. Don't take want others do as gospel...they may not have the best plan(unless you're watching GM or M, then I'd take their plan!)

in theory, the reload should be done within a step or two of moving ( or even earlier if possible) then you can just flat out run to the next spot. A lot will depend on your personal skill level. I can tell you from personal experience that the first few matches, I was trying to go WAY too fast than my skill level should have allowed me to.

Lots of dryfire practice at home helps at well, and yes over time things will smooth out for you ;)

CZ, thanks for the response! I like the tip about reloading before running to the next spot, that helped me alot. I do alot of dry fire practice at home and can already tell that is helping me. Still need to get it second nature, though.

I'm shooting SS division and unclassified currently. Thought about getting into L10 since my gun can do it, but want to stick with one thing at a time...at least for a while, then I'll switch if I need a change of pace or want to try magazines on the front of my belt :D SS position thing kinda sucks.

CZ gives you some good advice. I would add that purchasing Steve Andersons dryfire books will help. Remember when you try to do 2 things at once, neither will be efficient. Hence, the 1-2 step reload. Then blasting to next position. Ideally, the reload should be within 1 step. Gun up, gun up, gun up, somewhere in the facebox area and always pointing downrange.

With practice it will come together. You'll start doing the basics and not even think about them much. Good luck!!!

I think this past match was a slower and make hits match. Texas star at 25 yards screwed me on one stage. Must have dumped 2 mags at it. LOL! Others had trouble too, though.

yeah I felt the same way second time up against those (first time I got LUCKY, it hardly moved).

I think this past match was a slower and make hits match. Texas star at 25 yards screwed me on one stage. Must have dumped 2 mags at it. LOL! Others had trouble too, though.

How did you attempt to shoot it? In what order did you plan to shoot the plates? Usually the way i see people prefer to do it is top right, top left, right right side, left side, bottom right, bottom left. If you do it perfectly, the star will hardly move. All bets are off if you hit the first and miss the second because now it's moving. When it does, don't follow the plate, aim at the spot you think it will stop, then fire when it does. If you chase, you'll just be wasting bullets. Easier said then done, your brain gets in the way when that thing starts moving and the tendency is to see a plate moving and shoot at it. It can be done, but it's easier to just hit it when it stops right before it goes back the other way.

Don't get discouraged on the Texas Star. I think they're fun. Most major matches will have one, so if your local match brings it out, don't look at it as the "dreaded star". Think about it's good practice when you see one at a major.

I take it you were down south? Ours got canceled it was still cold and way muddy, looks like this weekends practice will be freezing too, come on summer. No big deal my holster and mag holders haven't come in yet anyway.

Club is in Spartanburg, SC. We are in the upstate, not near the beach. It was about 40 and misty when we showed up, but by noon the sun broke out and it got up to about 50-55.

I take it you were down south? Ours got canceled it was still cold and way muddy, looks like this weekends practice will be freezing too, come on summer. No big deal my holster and mag holders haven't come in yet anyway.

Turned out to be a beautiful day for the match...started out a littl chilly (34 degrees or so) then warmed up to about 56-57. Perfect day for a match. One stage had some mud from melted snow but we had fun!

I have Anderson's book now and will work on the fundamentals. I also bought Perfect Practice from Brian the other day. Got that yesterday and already started reading it. Matt Burkett DVD on the way and range session this weekend!

Way more to shooting IPSC/USPSA than knowing how to shoot a gun. haha. That statement sounds so simple but it's so true.

After my 2nd match I got serious and purchased a shot timer and set up a safe dry fire course at home. I benefited from those two a lot. It's all part of the game butdry firing and hearing that dang bzzzzzzz regularly made it a lot more comfortable.

Edited by kreativecid