Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI trigger conundrum

bubbadoc

I bought a used SVI 2011 and after some use decided to switch to an arched MSH (big hands...). The grip safety on the pistol had been disabled with a pin on the bottom and the right leg of the sear spring was doubled/ folded down. Since I had never been around such a situation I mucked up the sear spring trying to put it back together. I have a new SVI triglide spring (has not been folded) and when I try to reassemble the pistol the trigger will not move. The issue is resolved if I do not put the left side of the thumb safety in (ie works without thumb safety or even with the grip safety and the right half of the thumb safety installed to hold it in place)

So, since I did not modify the thumb or grip safety, what do I need to do to get this thing running. I hate to take any metal off a previously working thumb safety and am now pulling what little hair out I have left. I am willing to take the pin off the grip safety but that does not seem to be an issue...

HELP.... HELP....

It appears to be touching the stirrup ok... the trigger is able to work without the grip safety in place and I cannot push a probe between the stirrup and left sear spring when the hammer is cocked...

Well, it works without the grip safety .. until I install the thumb safety without the grip safety in place..... But I did not modify anything... I have only changed the sear spring...

AAAArrrrgggghhhhhh

Well, it works without the grip safety .. until I install the thumb safety without the grip safety in place.....

Too make sure I understand, the trigger is free until you install the thumb safety? Even with the grip safety off the gun but the thumb safety installed, the trigger will not move?

The left finger of the sear spring is touching the rear of the trigger stirrup, the middle finger is touching the bottom (angle portion) of the disconnector, and the right finger(that would normally push on the grip safety) is not currently touching anything. Right?

Bill

Additional thought, the bottom of the sear spring is engaged in the slot in the grip? You need to lower the mainspring housing to see for sure.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Bill-

Yes you understand all of the facts (as listed in both posts)..... Actually looking at it, the right leaf is touching the polymer frame... will that matter???.

Kevin

Edited by bubbadoc

Bill-

Yes you understand all of the facts (as listed in both posts)..... Actually looking at it, the right leaf is touching the polymer frame... will that matter???.

Kevin

Kevin, take a look at the schematic for the 1911.

http://m.b5z.net/i/u/6129421/f/PDF_Colt_Govt_1911-Diagram.pdf

Properly installed, the small tab at the bottom of the sear spring slips into a slot in the frame (or in this case, the STI pistol grip).

Looking into the gun from the back, the left finger will put pressure on the trigger bow, the middle finger will put pressure on the disconnector and the right finger will push outwards on the grip safety when installed.

None of the fingers should be pushing on the frame.

Bill

Bill-

Kevin

Looking into the gun from the back, the left finger will put pressure on the trigger bow...

Bill

The left finger of the sear spring puts pressure on the sear. The middle finger puts pressure on the disconnector which puts pressure on the trigger bow.

Pat

It appears to be touching the stirrup ok... the trigger is able to work without the grip safety in place and I cannot push a probe between the stirrup and left sear spring when the hammer is cocked...

Well, it works without the grip safety .. until I install the thumb safety without the grip safety in place..... But I did not modify anything... I have only changed the sear spring...

AAAArrrrgggghhhhhh

Check that when the sear spring is installed the left finger is on the lower left leg of the sear. It's easy to push it up under the left leg of the sear when installing it. The left finger should NOT be touching the trigger stirrup (bow) at all. None of the sear spring fingers should be in contact with the trigger stirrup. The middle finger presses against the disconnector and the disconnector then presses against the trigger stirrup which causes the trigger to reset forward when the trigger is released after the shot.

Take a good look at the new sear spring when in place correctly and make sure the center finger rides against the disconnector AND PUSHES the disconnector all the way up above the top of the frame where it pops up (pull the slide off to check). If the disconnector is pushed up make sure you can push it down flush with the top of the frame and it pops back up when you let it go. It should NOT pop up slowly, it should pop up quickly.

If when you put the sear spring in correctly you notice that the left finger is not tall enough to contact the left leg of the sear OR the center leaf does not reach or push the disconnector PM me and i'll help you out. The SVI TriGlide sear spring can be a PIA to fit. DO NOT try to bend the locating tab on the bottom of the sear spring that sits in the horizontal grip slot.

Pat

The left finger of the sear spring puts pressure on the sear. The middle finger puts pressure on the disconnector which puts pressure on the trigger bow.

Pat

Pat is correct. Bad case of brain fade on this end. Thanks Pat.

Bill

Not a problem sir. My brain comes and goes quite a bit.:roflol:

Pat

Thanks for all of the help. Still can't get it working, but will stay after it. Everything appears to be OK on the sear spring positioning, so it is driving me crazy that by just replacing the sear spring that the thumb safety will not allow the mechanism to work.

Deep breath, repeat, try again (and I tried other sear springs... and I have done this before for 1911's....breath...)

:unsure:<_<

First try at posting a picture. Here two up close with the hammer cocked and without grip or thumb safety. If this works let me know what other shots to post (although my camera just switched to German on the screen... everything seems to be against me lately :surprise: )

post-17581-009304300 1297203453_thumb.jp

post-17581-048070100 1297203477_thumb.jp

First try at posting a picture. Here two up close with the hammer cocked and without grip or thumb safety. If this works let me know what other shots to post (although my camera just switched to German on the screen... everything seems to be against me lately :surprise: )

That looks like everything is installed correctly. Right now the trigger moves and will drop the hammer. Right?

Can you get pics of the thumb safety installed in both the safe and fire positions?

Bill

Added thought: Check to see that the top of the disconnector has popped up through the frame. Near the top of the Triglide disconnector is ball shaped and fits tighter than a standard disconnector. Make sure it moves freely.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

The disconnector is through the frame and moves freely, returning quickly after being depressed. Without the thumb safety installed the trigger works fine, (although my left hand is tired of taking the brunt of the hammer fall to keep it from striking the frame)

As for the originally installed sear spring, after I mucked it up I broke a cardinal rule and threw it away so am unable to replicate its positioning..... I am starting to think that the issue is the spring is a little long and the left leg is getting caught under the thumb safety (or the slot at the bottom is allowing the spring to ride up too high). Unless someone sees something obvious in these photos I will be ordering another tri-glide spring (I have tried two 'normal' sear springs and they have also not allowed the trigger to work ...)

Here is a photo of the thumb safety installed, in the down and then up position. Hard to take a good close up.

Once again THANKS for all of the help

post-17581-092162700 1297207164_thumb.jp

post-17581-025632300 1297207177_thumb.jp

In the safe position, the thumb safety blocks movement of the sear.

With the safety on the fire position, the safety should clear the flat pads on the sear.

From the picture it looks like the thumb safety in the fire position still blocks the sear. Not by much but just enough that the sear cannot move, therefore the trigger does not move.

Typically I would lightly file the tab on the safety to where it barely clears the sear, but in your case I'm confused. All you have changed is the mainspring housing and a new sear and this should not cause the safety/sear contacts to change. So I would not get the files out just yet.

Probably won't help, but put the original MSH back on the gun and see if it helps.

Bill

I enlarged the picture with the safety in the fire position and noticed that the left thumb piece and the right piece do not come fully together.

So I looked at the gap between the safety and the frame. It looks like the safety is not fully into the frame. This would cause the safety to not go all the way into the frame and not move up far enough to clear the sear.

Use a thin knife blade or something similar between the plunger and the safety and work the safety all the way into the frame. This should solve the problem.

Bill

Take a good look and see if the sear spring is too high and getting between the safety and the sear . If that is the case the sear spring needs to be lowered. DO NOT try to bend the locating tab at the bottom of the spring. It will break. To lower the spring you have to file or grind the tab down. Look at your regular sear spring tab. It should be bent close to 90 degrees to the main body of the spring. The TriGlide locating tab is bent at about a 45 degree angle. Filing or grinding back will lower the spring a bit. If need be you might be able to file the top of the left leaf for a bit more clearance.

Let us know,

Pat

From the picture, it looks like the sear spring is in the wrong position. The left leaf looks to be too high on the sear meaning the bottom of the spring in not in the slot but above the slot. please take a picture of the lower half of the spring without the housing installed.

Flatland - the thumb safety gap was my fault... I did a quick install of the thumb safety and did not push it all together.

whatmeworry - thanks, I may try to file a little on the sear spring, but am hesitant to mess it up...but what have I to loose???

Rory, here is a pic w/o the MSH in place. The sear spring may be too high, but it is sitting in the slot

post-17581-039340000 1297217371_thumb.jp