Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV mags with comp. followers

STInky

Hey Guys & Gals.....

I promise, I did a search and tried to find a previous thread that may have covered this, but I was unable to do so. I am using SV 140mm mags with the red competition followers, and I'm ready to swap the mag springs. Any suggestions as to which springs work the best with these particular followers ? Will all springs that are marked for SV work with these followers, or will they have to be cut to fit in to the follower ?

P.S. I am a firm believer in Slide-Glide now.....When I got my STI Edge a few weeks ago, I was having feeding problems with factory .40 ammo (I had a few posts on the board about that). After getting my S.G. in and lubing up the Edge, it will feed anything I put in it now. Now hopefully I can focus on shooting a good match, and not be worried about which malfunction drill I will have to perform to get my gun running again. :ph34r:

I have used ISMI springs in all my mags exclusively since I bought the pistol almost 3 years ago. I have no reason to switch (plus, they're an Indiana company, so that's extra cool in my book).

Here is an older thread I actually started on the very question you now ask.

140mm mag springs

a moderator might want to move this to the 'springs' forum

grams forever! if your going to use your old followers buy the grams springs for sti/svi. you will have to use a pair of pliers to bend the top coil for it to fit the sv followers.

after that its reliable heaven for a long long time.

or just buy the grams spring kit with grams follower try 1911store.com service there is great!!

Guest Larry Cazes

Are you using an extended basepad? If yes, you should track down some of the older Grahams extended length springs. For 170mm tubes leave them as they are and for 140mm with an extended basepad, cut down 1 coil. The stock wolff springs sold by SV are great for 140mm tubes with NO extended capacity basepad. With a Dawson +1 pad, red SV follower, and grahams spring cut down 1 coil I get 20 in the mag. I do prefer to stick with 19, though, since they are much easier to seat.

Got my last batch of 15 of these at shooters connection for around 5 bucks each.