Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejecting one round immediately on fresh mag

kreativecid

Maybe this will help a new competitor.

Had a stage which required a reload. It went something like this: Shoot 6, reload new mag with mandated 6 round maximum, shoot 6.

On this day I was having issues with my mag insertions; I had become accustomed to the slide releasing and chambering a round in my M&P as opposed to the method of inserting a mag and manually releasing the slide.

I had a mental shortcoming from the previous stage where the slide did not automatically release & chamber, and when I inserted the mag forcefully for this stage it did exactly what I was used to: slide released and chambered the round. But I was unsure if it did so I racked the slide immediately which ejected the first live round. Unfortunately for me it was one of the six mandatory rounds needed for the stage.

Now I had 5 rounds for a 6 round stage. Thankfully I placed all 5 rounds on target but obviously I scored poorly.

you should be loaded to division capacity to shoot the stage that way if you have a jam or malfunction and need to clear it out, you'll have ammo to finish the stage. Did the WSB actually say only 6 rounds could be in the gun or just that you had to only shoot 6 rounds?

Not to turn this into a rules discussion, but I was under the impression you could not specifically limit magazine capacity....

8.1.4 Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendix D), a

competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded

or reloaded in a handgun. Written stage briefings may only stipulate

when the handgun is to be loaded or when mandatory reloads are

required (when permitted under Rules 1.1.5.1 and 1.1.5.2).

Edited by KyroWebs

Not to turn this into a rules discussion, but I was under the impression you could not specifically limit magazine capacity....

8.1.4 Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendix D), a

competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded

or reloaded in a handgun. Written stage briefings may only stipulate

when the handgun is to be loaded or when mandatory reloads are

required (when permitted under Rules 1.1.5.1 and 1.1.5.2).

Unless he was at an IDPA match

*snip* reload new mag with mandated 6 round maximum, shoot 6.

*snip*

Whether it was legal or not, I believe it WAS a mandated download of mag to 6 rounds.

After reading the rule book several times I didn't remember that rule, so will be interested to see where this discussion goes. I had a stage this past weekend that mandated empty mag in gun with 1 round in hand. On beep, shooter loads weapon with 1 round only and shoots popper then proceeeds to table where remainder of mags are to engage remaining targets. IMO this WOULDN'T have been in violation of any rules since it was just an empty gun while holding something (happened to be a round) vs. an actual download of mag capacity.

*snip*

Whether it was legal or not, I believe it WAS a mandated download of mag to 6 rounds.

After reading the rule book several times I didn't remember that rule, so will be interested to see where this discussion goes. I had a stage this past weekend that mandated empty mag in gun with 1 round in hand. On beep, shooter loads weapon with 1 round only and shoots popper then proceeeds to table where remainder of mags are to engage remaining targets. IMO this WOULDN'T have been in violation of any rules since it was just an empty gun while holding something (happened to be a round) vs. an actual download of mag capacity.

Rule 8.2.3 does not allow the competitor to touch ammunition before the start signal.

*snip*

Rule 8.2.3 does not allow the competitor to touch ammunition before the start signal.

IMHO, there are more than a few course designers who need to read the current rulebook before they start cranking out stages that violate those rules.

Threw me for a loop that's for sure! Didn't know if I could chamber feed the round or if I had to load mag. Everyone was ejecting mag and loading that since 1911's are meant to be mag fed. Then after my turn, lots of people chamber feeding, so lost alot of time on that one....live and learn.

I guess if it's not specified, do it how you want! If they have a problem they should have specified. that's going to be my new rule. I hope that attitude won't piss off the RO's. I'm just out there to have fun and improve!!! :cheers:

For the previous umpteenth months the slide would chamber a round when the mag was inserted forcefully. And on this day it bit me.

As for the 6 rounds max that is what the stage called for. No more, no less. I had 6 to start and then moronically ejected 1 by racking slide after my much needed first of six rounds went thataway.