Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Central TX!

double_r76

Hey everybody,

I've recently discovered there's some shooting going on pretty much every weekend around San Antonio! So, looks like I'm going to try to hook up with the couple of closest groups here over the next couple of months. Cedar Ridge Range isn't too far down the road, so I'll probably start there.

After lurking and reading for a while, I figured I should set up an account here before I hit that steep learning curve of being the "new shooter" out on the range. Looks like there is an IDPA club (Texas Tactical) out here, as well as a USPSA club (Alpha Mike Shooters)... I'll probably end up shooting with both if I can make the time.

I'll be back with questions! :D

Thanks!

-Randy

Hey everybody,

I've recently discovered there's some shooting going on pretty much every weekend around San Antonio! So, looks like I'm going to try to hook up with the couple of closest groups here over the next couple of months. Cedar Ridge Range isn't too far down the road, so I'll probably start there.

After lurking and reading for a while, I figured I should set up an account here before I hit that steep learning curve of being the "new shooter" out on the range. Looks like there is an IDPA club (Texas Tactical) out here, as well as a USPSA club (Alpha Mike Shooters)... I'll probably end up shooting with both if I can make the time.

I'll be back with questions! :D

Thanks!

-Randy

Randy I would like to suggest that as a total Noob that you start with Ted Bonnet's match at BulletHole Range, it is the most Noob friendly match on the planet. For all the info on all central texas matches visit my web site http://www.sashooter.com Info on Ted's matches and he is a Limited GM multi winner of the world shoot etc a Legend you can go to http://www.americanactionshooting.com The format is USPSA style rules with IDPA style scoring, the best of both worlds, every thing is time and bad hits add time. The 2nd Saturday is catered to the CHL crowd, and the 3rd Saturday is more steel and more bulltets. I am a member of the Alpha Mike Gang we put on a good match, I am also a member of River City Shooters we put on a very good match with the difficulty that will make you improve, and I also belong to the BulletHole USPSA club. I must be nuts well of course I need lots of powder therapy. I shoot Mike Webb's Carbine and 3-Gun matches at Cedar Ridge as well. Jamie Foote and Marisa put on two good steel matches each month at Cedar Ridge, steel can be humbling but it makes you a better shooter. If that isn't enough to get you started let me know there are more matches you can do. Welcome to the Forum and welcome to Powder Therapy.

Let me extend the invitation for our Sunday Alamo shoot at Cedar Ridge. after 20 years steel can put me in my place any & every time my head gets too big.

WE do more than just steel ,but Alpha Mike & River City shooters do such a good job with field stages , the most I do is set up short stages that work on 'Improvement' areas.

The theme the last month that caries over is shot calling with speed. I crashed and burnt at that last month.

my email is assc@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions

Jamie

Wow, what a warm (and fast) welcome!

Ron, that's quite a useful website you have there. Great info without a lot of clutter. You probably don't hear this enough, but guys like me really appreciate the time and effort that goes into maintaining that kind of product. I'll try to get over to the BulletHole to shoot with that crew. I'm in Cibolo, so that's a little bit of a hitch, but not too far to get over and enjoy a day on the range!

Jamie, I'm not sure that I'll make it this weekend. The "snow day" shut down the office today, so I'll have to go in this weekend and play catch-up. I would also like to make my rounds around town to try to find a killer deal on a Glock 34. However, I'll definitely come check out your bunch before too long. Since it's so close, I would prefer to make Cedar Ridge my "home" range as much as possible. I like the familiarity and comfort of returning to the same place and seeing the same friendly faces.

I would like to think I know my way around a pistol, but organized competition is ALL new to me. Do I need to bring anything beside my Glock, mags, holster, mag pouches, ammo, eyes, ears, and an open mind?

Thanks for the info and greeting. Hope to see you both on the range before too long!

-Randy

Wow, what a warm (and fast) welcome!

Ron, that's quite a useful website you have there. Great info without a lot of clutter. You probably don't hear this enough, but guys like me really appreciate the time and effort that goes into maintaining that kind of product. I'll try to get over to the BulletHole to shoot with that crew. I'm in Cibolo, so that's a little bit of a hitch, but not too far to get over and enjoy a day on the range!

Jamie, I'm not sure that I'll make it this weekend. The "snow day" shut down the office today, so I'll have to go in this weekend and play catch-up. I would also like to make my rounds around town to try to find a killer deal on a Glock 34. However, I'll definitely come check out your bunch before too long. Since it's so close, I would prefer to make Cedar Ridge my "home" range as much as possible. I like the familiarity and comfort of returning to the same place and seeing the same friendly faces.

I would like to think I know my way around a pistol, but organized competition is ALL new to me. Do I need to bring anything beside my Glock, mags, holster, mag pouches, ammo, eyes, ears, and an open mind?

Thanks for the info and greeting. Hope to see you both on the range before too long!

-Randy

Thanks for the compliment on the web site, I got tired of searching for the links to all the clubs so I just decided to put up a site everyone could use and put everything in one place.

Sounds like you have everything covered. It is also nice to be able to sit down once in a while so you might consider a folding chair. I don't take one anymore since I am use to standing and walking for 3 or 4 hours. Wator, Gator Aide or the like and more when it starts to warm up.

Jamie is a kidder with a good sense of humor, and his wife is very nice, I'm sure she keeps and eye and a foot on him. I'm also a kidder but a little bit more to the dry side. I do have to say that Jamie's croud is a very nice bunch of shooters, friendly and easy going. I try to make his match when I can, but I've been trying to cut back to shooting only one day on the weekend, the honey dew list is getting really long.

Edited by CocoBolo

Well thanks Randy

the thing that makes San Antonio to Austin a great area is all a brotherhood. your not going to see to much of the "old days" of {Us V Them} every club in town is a part of We & Us Brotherhood

Each club has something different and good to offer to round out the shooters. If you don't make each club through out the year you will be missing out on something.

Including sharing a ride with buddies to South to Corpus Christy North to all the way to Waco,

some of us are going to Austin next Saturday for a 3gun

And if you run with the wrong <_< or rite crew we will take you to some good Sporting clays events

Randy,

Welcome to the forum and to competitive shooting in central Texas! There's pretty much a match every weekend within an hours drive! I'll be at jamie's match on Sunday. If you end up making it out, look for me! Steel can be shot with a 22, cheap and easy to get your feet wet! I can help you out with gear to borrow if you wanna give it a go! Gonna be a great weekend weather wise, don't spend the whole time at the office!! :)

• 1 month later...