Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What choke system

Garfield

Hi,

Here in NL IPSC shotgun is not recognised :( but at some point in the future I want to shoot some shotgun matches with my Win M1300 12 gauge, in Standard Manual Division.

My shotgun currently has a fully open barrel of about 24 inches, the minimum lenght allowed by dutch laws. The barrel has been cut down from 28 inches so the original WinChoke system is gone.

Although this is no problem for the "short distance steel plate hosing" I do with it now, I suspect that it won't do for the future and for longer distances.

I know of the option to have the barrel re-threaded but I was wondering if there are easier/cheaper options.

I just visited the Briley website and was wondering how these choke systems work, I mean: how do these get fixed to the barrel ?

What sort of systems are out there and what do you guys recommend ?

I am looking for a system that allows me to change chokes and is sturdy, but on the other hand is not so expensive and doesn't involve "difficult" things like having the barrel threaded on the inside again.

Garfield,

I just had my Gold cut down and Briley'ed and they thread the muzzel end of the barrel as compared to the thread being a few inches down the barrel. I have had 'thinwall' chokes installed and they work very well. Initially I thought they appeared a bit flimsy as they are very thin but they take slug etc no problem.

Brirley get my thumbs up but I dont know of any other alternative for your problem !

M

Hi Arvid

although having variable chokes may give you an advantage in some places the targets MUST be shootable with a true cylinder gun so unless you are antcipating shooting a lot of matches it is not some thing to trouble with , the money might be better spent on ammo or travel costs. Bear in mind that you will get a different pattern from different shot types and as you will no doubt have to buy the ammo at the match you will not know what pattern you get from which choke anyway.

I cannot comment on IPSC shotgun other than in the UK and at the ESC but will say that in the UK variable chokes are distinct advantage whereas you could have used a blunderbuss and still missed the penalties at the ESC!. Perhaps a new barrel in the correct length with threads would be a better option, I assume you still have the chokes from before the chop?

j

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies so far.

James: thanks for the great tip that targets must be shootable with a true cylinder barrel ! I missed that in the rules.

And yes I still have the (3) chokes.

I had -and have- no plans to invest heavily in my shotgun, but I am just curious about chokes. As I cannot shoot IPSC shotgun here in NL it really is just a "fun item" for use at my local club. And hopefully some time next year a match abroad or so, just for the fun of it !

For now I am really happy with the shortening of 4 inches, it makes the gun handle a lot better.

And you have to really look close to notice that it has been cut in the first place.

28-06-2004 Edited: the barrel was not shortened by 10 inches, but by a good 4 inches, which is a good 10 centimeters.

Arvid

Although the rules state that each C of F must be shootable with a 24 inch True Cylinder gun I believe that there is a distinct tactical (competition tactical) advantage by being able to select your choke. My advice would be don't hesitate, get it done.

Test Gun Specification:

Maximum barrel length – 66 cms (26 inches).

True cylinder or open choked barrel.

Any action type.

To add to the testing procedure that all targets are viable the test cartridge is:

Test Cartridge Specification:

For Birdshot Stages

Birdshot – no. 7 or 7 ½ or local equivalent.

Power factor – 520 or less

(e.g. A cartridge of 28gr (1 ounce) shot weight at 1180 fps)

Have you thought about coming over to the UK in June for the British Open Shotgun Match (Level III) (shot in one day 11-13 June to suit)? It'll be held near the coast near Dorchester in Dorset, about a 3 hour drive from the UK side of the tunnel. Secure storage for guns available nearby.

As I understand it there are likely to be some others coming over for it from places afar. I believe the cost will be around 45 - 50 Euros.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, and the offers to come to the UK.

I'm afraid that this year I won't be able to.

I have set my mind on RO-ing a few handgun matches abroad and they are already planned. On top of that, I'm out of NL for the larger part of may (Mosquito Match and an early summer vacation). After that, I am not allowed out of the country much until fall, because we expect our third child in august ...

But next year I definitely am going to take up IPSC shotgun !

Arvid

Slight (big) thread drift .................

Talking of coming to the UK did you ever come across a dutch shooter called Peter Vermeer (or something similar)?

He used to come over quite a lot to shoot SG in the UK, but then I am going back some 16 years.

Damm! I'm getting old. :(

Switching chokes is like kissing your sister....yea it feels good but it really doesn't do a thing for you. Settle on a fairly tight choke.....I like light modified ( I have no idea what this is in European choke sizing) and just shoot!! By playing with loads a cylinder bore can be quite tight on pattern, just have to find what it likes. KURTM

Luca,

You dont need an excuse to come over here, you would be more than welcome anytime !  :D

Thanks Mike,

actually I'm looking for an excuse not to come over there :lol: since I really like UK a lot and have been there quite a few times... :D