Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is a 9mm to much for a 12 year old

jsa

Remember that shooting is just one part. Can they rack the slide, clear the possible jams, etc. That's also part of the game.

That is true! You must be running a Glock if clearing jams is an issue. 1911.....NO PROBLEM! :roflol:

LOL! I run a glock, maybe 2 jams in 10 years. But it is a valid issue, local shooter wants his young son to come out and play. He shoots fine but can't rack the slide. If you can't get yourself going at Make Ready, kind of hard to do the rest.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember that shooting is just one part. Can they rack the slide, clear the possible jams, etc. That's also part of the game.

That is true! You must be running a Glock if clearing jams is an issue. 1911.....NO PROBLEM! :roflol:

LOL! I run a glock, maybe 2 jams in 10 years. But it is a valid issue, local shooter wants his young son to come out and play. He shoots fine but can't rack the slide. If you can't get yourself going at Make Ready, kind of hard to do the rest.

haha! Only kidding with the stab at Glocks :P But the rarity of jams is an indication of good reloading practices! Keep it up! Somehow the guys who ALWAYS get jams also seem to get the squibs :ph34r: I usually suggest a how-to DVD on reloading.

I participate as a coach for a Scholastic Steel Challenge group at our club. Ages range from 10 to 16/17. About 12 kids. Some are ready for 9, some aren't and it isn't based on age. I'd say their comfort level, i.e.: experience makes the most difference. The kids who expect and are comfortable with more recoil and noise regardless of strength are more likely to be safe, have fun, and gain accuracy. SSC requires 9mm for matches so we are trying to get them all ready. One of the 12 yr olds shoots IDPA and regularly is in the top 1/2 of competitors. All depends on the kid...

• 2 weeks later...

I started my son out shooting a Browning Buckmark when he was strong enough to hold the gun reliably and did the same as others here have, one round in the magazine. As he progressed and got stronger I moved him up to the 1911 and again went back to one round in the magazine. I told him he could shoot a match when he got strong enough to reliably work the slide on the 1911. He shot his first match with the 1911 with 175 PF loads at the age of 10 (see picture below) and shot his first classifier at 11 YOA. He's not a big kid (he won a state wrestling championship his senior year at 135 lbs.) he just loves shooting and was willing to put the effort in to get better.

That being said, each kid is different, and it is up to the parent to determine what they are ready to try safely. I think it's just awesome that we have kids already shooting at such young ages with the goal of competing, and parents willing to take the time to teach them! My 10 year old granddaughter shot Josh's Buckmark the other day and is hooked. She won't leave me alone about going out to shoot some more. I think I may have another upcoming USPSA shooter in the family!

post-21-097560500 1302538157_thumb.jpg