Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading w/ a Dillon

jblackfish

i was thinking of the 550 until i went to a friends house to load on a 650. I was hooked fast and smooth thats all i can say. I picked one up last month and im hooked. 650 now thats the blue kool aid everyones talking about!!!!!

I had a 550, and it was a nice little machine. I sold the press before I moved, and am now needing to get a new press. Im in a smaller apartment now and will be going with the SDB mainly for space reasons.

From MY experience (Ive loaded only about 3,000 total in my life, so nowhere NEAR the experience these other posters have) playing with the SDB at dillon (they have all their presses set up with brass and bullets so you can play), Im going to be faster with the SDB anyway like Bart states. I think its just the nature of the auto indexing. Im only ever going to load 38 super, and MAYBE .40 if I ever get a limited rig.

Don't look back..get a 650

The 650 is a mighty impressive machine - no question about it. It just seems like such overkill for a guy who is SURE that I'm never gonna load but two pistol calibers - .45 and 9.

Im only loading 9mm presently but like to have options available since I can't predict the future.

also like the full size machine for my meat hooks to maneuver, and the 5th station alows for a powder check for when you are cranking them out.

I am a fairly new re-loader and purchased my first instrument in November. I did about 90 days of research on the subject, so finally after I ascertained the opinions, I decided that Dillon was the only way. After speaking to Brian, decided and agreed with his professional opinion on the 550 B. I currently produce .45 and .223, but will add more in the coming months. This may be the route you may want to go. Call or e-mail brian and set up an appointment, he is great and will guide you in the right direction. Go with Dillon!

FYI, I'm coming back around to the 550b. I think I would be fine with the SDB but I think the 550 is a little more "bang for the buck" and I think the re-sale would be better if I wanted to change/upgrade in the future. At this point the 650 is just a little too big of a step for me.

Even with just the 2 calibers, I'm glad your thinking the 550. The 550 has more options for upgrades. In the future you can add a case feeder(big speed increase, hand doesn't leave the handle), and you can even add a bulletfeeder.

I had a PRojector press, it drove me nuts. It was auto index, but didn't work well for me. I bought a 550, and I was shocked it wasn't auto index. After getting used to the machine, it was very simple to re-load vs using the projector, and rotating the shell plate became natural, rotate, place bullet was EASY.

Just in case you'll add more calibers, you'll have lots more options :) The 550 is a very simple machine vs the 650 too.

How, exactly, does one add an extra step (manual indexing) and still manage to be faster?

As long as "while one hand is doing one thing the other is doing something else" - there isn't an "extra step."

Or in other words... While your right hand is operating the handle, the left hand picks up a bullet to set on the next round. Then after the primer is seated, your left hand can index the Shellplate AND set the bullet on the case before your right hand can let of of the handle and get a new case in the Shellplate. Done that way, the fact the the 550 doesn't auto-index does not slow doen the loading cycle at all.

And, having the ability to flip the Shellplate in any direction - and at any speed - any time you want, is a good thing, IMO. Or in other words, when you are working up loads or clearing stoppage, the fact the the 550 does not auto-index is a feature you will enjoy.

be