Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long do rifle compensators last?

I have two local shooters that have the Miculek comp. Both of them have noticed erosion on the ports (I didn't ask them how many rounds they put on). One of the shooters said something like "That's why they are so cheap [...they don't last]".

Maybe the guy was right and the Miculek compensator isn't made out of good materials. But how long do compensators on rifles last before you notice the erosion? Which compensator did/do you have?

i've got a Berquist which looks sort of like Mic but costs more......my first port wall is eroded pretty bad but is still basically there.....mine can't have more than a few thousand rounds through it....give or take a few thousand....sorry i can't be more precise....D I C K

The hole in my JP AR comp was noticably larger after about 750 rounds. I have since sold the gun, so I don't know how many rounds until it starts to become less affective. Another JP owner had told me that after 3K rounds he needed to replace his. :huh:

I guess then it's just the nature of the beast. But that's awfully expensive.

Say you need to change the comp and you had it welded/soldered on to compy with the ATF on post-bans. Do you have to get a whole new barrel as well? Or can a gunsmith just somehow take the welds off and pop on a new one? Do gunsmiths charge extra for a reinstall vs. a new install?