Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a problem?

Sharyn

I think in this case... a picture (or two) is definitely worth a thousand words... because I don't know how the heck to describe this! There seems to be bilateral cracks in my grip at which appears to be a stress point. I know these STI grips can be swapped out... but is this an indicator that they need to be?

Thanks!

crack1.jpgcrack3.jpg

Sorry if the pictures suck. I can try again if these aren't good enough to see.

:D

Time to pull the grip while it can be salvaged. Jim Shanahan can probably reweld the grip back together for you.

What's broken is the weld line that was formed when the grips were molded. It's the weakest point in the plastic and is usually the first point to crack. I think this happens because of reload practice with empty mags.

Try using dummy rounds in your mags when you practice reloads. Better to smash a dummy round than break your grip.

Thank you for your response!

He he... I wish I could take credit for practicing reloads so much I broke the grip... but I've only shot 7 matches with this gun and that's about it. Is it really worth salvaging or would it be easier to just replace? This gun is no Spring chicken... it's been well worked by a GM, but that's what I like about it. :D

You might call Chris at STI. They have done some pretty generous things in the past on equipment that was broken.

I say this not to take business away from Jim, who is an outstanding person in his own right. But STI stands behind their product.

Call Chris first it never hurts to ask.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info and thank you for the suggestions.

No need to worry about taking business from anybody because this is a Briley gun and they'll take care of me. I just wanted to know if these cracks were something that needed to be evaluated more seriously. I guess they are? :unsure: Is this something that you would suggest to stop shooting the gun because it's gonna break in my hands... or, yeah it's cracked, shoot the crap outta it and take it in when you can... or, it's nothing, don't worry about it. How "serious" is this?

If it needs to be replaced or fixing it is a bit time consuming... I need to look into training with a different gun because Space City Challenge is only a month and a half or so away. I'll be able to get over to Briley on Tuesday, but I wanted to be a bit more educated before then. ;) I'm a complete newbie to these guns and am trying to learn as much as I can... this forum is an OUTSTANDING resource!!!

:D

You need to do something about replacing the grip. It won't explode or anything, but it will jam sooner or later. Just ask Nolan...

BTW, Shooters Connection has black grips on sale for $99. There are also several forum members that have grips available for sale, I believe.

Get it replaced. I have seen a cracked grip cause all kind of malfunctions, including but not limited to various trigger problems, feed, and ejection problems.

Well, daggum if I wasn't pullin' my hair out over random, 'unexplainable' ftf's and fte's. We changed the springs, changed the mag catch, and I think Mr. Londrigan is aware of my latest magazine antics. :D

So... Mr. Londrigan... do ya have any loaner Open guns lyin' 'round??? :wub: How far is Morgan from Houston? :lol:

So... Mr. Londrigan... do ya have any loaner Open guns lyin' 'round??? :wub: How far is Morgan from Houston? :lol:

No loaners available - I don't even have one for myself. I need to get one built so I can practice. Morgan is about 80 miles southwest of D/FW.

No loaners available - I don't even have one for myself. I need to get one built so I can practice. Morgan is about 80 miles southwest of D/FW.

I will share my broken one with you. :lol:

short_round and TheOtherErik, thank you for the links to those threads. Very interesting!

Thanks for the help, y'all. It was definitely cracked and is being replaced. It's also getting hard chromed and a titanium comp while we're at it. I even got a loaner gun. Jeff Ort is the coolest. B)

alc.gif