Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550B Casefeeder question

I'm considering a casefeeder for my RL 550b, and I'm pretty sold on it, save for one question: How difficult is it to use the press WITHOUT the casefeeder once it's installed? For instance - if I wanted to load .223 or .308 on it, how difficult is it to render the press usable without the casefeeder getting in the way?

If you need to reload without case feeder, you could still insert an empty case to the first stage but it won't be as fast as inserting it on original case ramp. You can also put the original ramp assembly back, but it will probably take half an hour to install.

Thanks Kevin. I did read that post, as well as the 550 Casefeeder Poll thread. It seems like while some have had some issues with it, overall most were happy with it and glad they purchased it. That's what's got me almost sold on it. I just have the one concern over how difficult it is to use the press without the feeder once it's installed.

If you need to reload without case feeder, you could still insert an empty case to the first stage but it won't be as fast as inserting it on original case ramp. You can also put the original ramp assembly back, but it will probably take half an hour to install.

I may need to exercise one of these options when I reload for .223, as I usually load that in quantity. For .308, I currently load so little of it I can probably get away with using my Lee Classic Cast single stage press. Too bad they didn't make it so you could just swing it out of the way when not needed. Hmmm, sounds like a nice modification project for someone.

Jeff,

While I've never actually done it (removed the Casefeeder to load rifle), when I was at Dillon's soon after the Casefeeder was released, a guy said, "It's a PITA to remove it so you can load rifle." So that's all I got for you.

be

Jeff,

While I've never actually done it (removed the Casefeeder to load rifle), when I was at Dillon's soon after the Casefeeder was released, a guy said, "It's a PITA to remove it so you can load rifle." So that's all I got for you.

be

Thanks Brian. Much appreciated. I've since talked to a friend who had the 550 w/casefeeder and sold it to buy a 650. He had some less than satisfactory experiences with it, and of course, is advising me to just get a 650 and be done with it. After hearing some of his experiences with it, I think that's just what I'll do.

Time to start filling up the piggy bank!