Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to stay permanently signed in?

kcbrown

Most forum sites I frequent have a checkbox upon signin that says something like "remember me" or "keep me signed in". I always check that checkbox because I find it most annoying to have to keep signing in when I want to visit the site in question. And on those sites (generally powered by vBulletin), my signin is indeed a relatively permanent thing, since whenever I visit the forum it will see me as being logged in even if I haven't visited the forum in some time.

I expect it's probably issuing a cookie to my browser that it later looks for.

Well, this forum also has a checkbox that says "remember me", but if it does anything at all, it certainly doesn't keep me signed in! Whenever I visit this forum (which is generally several days or so since the previous visit), I always have to sign back in, regardless of whether or not I check the "remember me" box.

I find this most annoying.

Is that checkbox supposed to do what it appears to do on other forums, i.e. keep one signed in until they explicitly sign out?

If so, why does that appear to not work on this forum but it works on every other forum I frequent? Note that it appears to behave this way regardless of what browser I'm using: Firefox, Safari, or Google Chrome all behave the same way.

If not, can we ever expect to see such a feature on this forum? I would find it a most welcoming feature.

Edited by kcbrown

I think you have a cookie issue. There's an option at the bottom of the forum to 'Delete my Cookies'. I suggest you hit that, then log off, then log back on with the 'remember me' option selected. Then check to see if a cookie was created. Exit from your web browser, restart your browser and see if the cookie is still there. If its missing then your settings in the browser are preventing the storage of the cookie, if the cookie is there and the Forum does not remember you then this is a different problem.

I think you have a cookie issue. There's an option at the bottom of the forum to 'Delete my Cookies'. I suggest you hit that, then log off, then log back on with the 'remember me' option selected. Then check to see if a cookie was created. Exit from your web browser, restart your browser and see if the cookie is still there. If its missing then your settings in the browser are preventing the storage of the cookie, if the cookie is there and the Forum does not remember you then this is a different problem.

I can already see that the cookies are there. I keep my browser open for weeks at a time, and this problem occurs while the browser remains open. Between that and the fact that the cookies appear to be there, this is likely to be a different problem.

I notice that there is a session cookie as well as a member_id cookie. Are those the only two cookies that will be relevant to this problem? If not, what other cookies should I be seeing (there are a number of them)?

Then I suspect that one of the cookies has an Expiration date in it. Normally that expiration may be 7 days and for everyone else that works, but because you are leaving yourself signed in beyond that then the session expires.

OK, if that's the case, then can the expiration date please be removed, or extended to some reasonably large value (like a couple of months or something)?

There is one cookie, pass_hash, which expires in 7 days. I'd bet money that's the cookie that's causing trouble here.

Send a request to the forum owner if you want the board changed.

Ah, I thought this forum was the proper way to do that. I'll send that request.

Thanks for the assistance! It's much appreciated.

By the way, I thought I started this thread under the "Report Bugs or Feedback" forum, but either I messed up somehow or it got moved to the "Miscellaneous Topics" forum. I started it in the "Report Bugs or Feedback" forum in an effort to make the request in question...

From info kcbrown PM'd me, I found the setting.

But the warning description regarding changing the setting is not confidence inspiring:

Member's log in key: Expiration

It is advised that a member's log in key (used in cookies for persistent log in) expires weekly if not used. This increases the security of your board by exposing log in data for a week limiting the time frame a hacker would have to use the key if stolen.

I'd guess you probably visit the forum more frequently than once a week. I don't.

Maybe that's what I needs to fix. :blush:

:) There ye go.