Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faster Reset

JoDaSMor

Hi guys! Pardon the ignorance as am newbie to rifle.

Had been accustomed to shooting in pistol-open division using 38 super where I can have faster splits.

Is having faster splits (NOT that sort of open pistol-but a bit faster) achievable in M4 rifles? Can I have faster reset that my second shots could be swifter?

Some guys recommend FIRMER BUFFER SPRING as if forwardly throwing back quicker bolt carrier after a shot. Is this ok?

Would appreciate inputs...and hello from Philippines.

Faster lock time and trigger reset will have the greatest effect on your splits. A good Single stage trigger is the way to go. Geiselle just came out with a new hybrid trigger, that I will be testing later this week. It is supposed to have a short reset.

Your buffer spring, buffer and BCG need to be balanced with your gas system to have optimal reliability. If you increase any of these your rifle may short stroke. Also remeber that the buffer spring works in two ways: to slow the BCG as it travels rearward, and to return the BCG to battery. If you increase the power of the buffer spring it will SLOW down the rearward travel, while it will INCREASE forward travel to equal out to zero net gain.

BTW I run a Extra Power CS Flatwire Spring in my 3 Gun rifle because MY RIFLE runs smoother with it. Every rifle is different.

d-box

I've run .11 splits on a stock AR before. The gun should be capable of that and more. An M-16 runs about 750 RPM, or about 12.5 rounds per second. Mechanically it's capable of sub .10 splits out of the box. Just depends on how quick your trigger can run. That said, there are a lot of things you can do to make the gun more shootable. A tunable gas system and lighter carrier are the two I start with. Add a trigger in and I can out run a Limcat with my AR.

Thanks guys. Am learning a lot.

Will request a U.S. based friend to score 1 Extra Power CS Flat Wire Spring for me.

Will try your suggestions with good trigger set and some fine tunes.

Relative to above topic, another newbie question:

In my pistol, I can have faster trigger reset because my slide backs to battery faster (shorter travel). But in my rifle, I can feel BCG recoiling back and setting up forwardly in a very slower motion. Can I have a faster BCG backing to battery?