Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prismatic questions?

Stlhead

So I took the plunge and ordered one up, double circle dot reticle. Mounted up nice, got it zeroed in at 100 to try it out. I put a skinny mini at 150, and a 8" plate at 200. The 8"er was not too bad, the skinny was tough but doable for me. The problems came up when we set up some closer stuff in the 50 yard bay. For the long stuff I close my left eye, but for the close stuff or moving I like to keep em both open. I get horrible double vision with this thing if I keep both open on targets from 10-25 yards. Is this normal for this optic or do I have a lemon? It also seems like the thing has a ton of parallax error. Do I need to go all pirate matey to shoot this thing? It rocks at a distance, but I am so far not so happy with it in close.

Thanks for your time and replies.

I can't help with the issues you are having but was wondering if you ordered the standard circle dot reticle or managed to find somebody in the custom shop who was finally able to help you? If standard circle dot reticle what MOA is the dot?

One reticle, two targets. I would estimate the dot at 1.5 -2 MOA. Dot is plenty small. Reticle is very clear and focused, the illumination seems a bit odd, the circles shift a bit, but the dot is still crisp.

Have one on my SBR and havent had a bit of a problem with mine. I run it pretty far forawad on the rail, the 2nd notch I believe since the front of the mount shows no extra slots. The stock position on mine is the 2nd notch. I did have to adjust the scope to my eyes but now that its set its crystal clear. My reticle is the crosshair reticle. Mine is set for a 50yard zero. On the close hosing targets, I have never had a double vision. On mine, it is amazing up close and gets used pretty frequently on the clubs rifle stages when its an up close hosing stage.

Customer service tells me it is my feeble brain and that I need to train with it more. I will avail myself of their advice a bit to see if I can resolve the issue. They tell me that this can happen if I focus on the reticle instead of the target. I just don't understand why this would only occur with the prismatic and not the Aimpoint that I normally have used.

More info, there is a faint but noticeable double reticle when the scope is illuminated that shows up even with only one eye open. I did not notice it yesterday in the sun, but it is cloudy today and noticeable. Also I tried maintaining focus on a distant object with both eyes and moving the scope into the field of view and it still distorts. I not so sure this thing is not busted. I am going to call customer service back again.

This time I got an answer that seems to fit. Nothing wrong with the scope. When the windage or elevation is adjusted it creates a slight shift of perspective that I was noticing. Looking through the scope I cranked the windage from right to left and back and watched the shift. When centered there is no shift at all. The farther into the adjustment the more noticeable the effect.

This time I got an answer that seems to fit. Nothing wrong with the scope. When the windage or elevation is adjusted it creates a slight shift of perspective that I was noticing. Looking through the scope I cranked the windage from right to left and back and watched the shift. When centered there is no shift at all. The farther into the adjustment the more noticeable the effect.

You pretty well explained a type of chromatic aboration, which is related to the quality of the glass. It may be perfectly normal for this optic, but not indicitive to higher quality (cost) glass.