Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another revolver tool

westczek

I hadn't seen this before, not sure if it is new. Although I don't ussually buy them, I always think little multi-tools are cool. This tool from Samson-mfg has two screw driver bits for S&W revolvers, a tool for the rebound spring and an extractor rod wrench.

I watched the video and was a little confused. It is marked with "off" and an arrow. I expected that to be for those who were confused about reverse threads, but the video seamed to show it being used the opposite direction to remove the extractor rod...

http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/SPDTool-SW.html

Westczek

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

All you need is a good screwdriver with interchangeable hollow-ground bits that correctly fit the screws. The rebound slide can be easily removed and replaced using a standard screwdriver, no special tool is needed.

The extractor rod can be removed with a standard drill chuck, which most of us already have. More importantly, there is no reason for the average revo shooter to take apart the extractor assembly. Believe me when I tell you, more problems are created by people taking their extractors apart than you could imagine. Leave them alone.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.

The extractor rod can be removed with a standard drill chuck, which most of us already have. More importantly, there is no reason for the average revo shooter to take apart the extractor assembly. Believe me when I tell you, more problems are created by people taking their extractors apart than you could imagine. Leave them alone.

Yep, plus when taking apart the extractor I don't want a tool that grabs it on the very end, I want to clamp the rod closer to the threads. A lot less chance of bending the rod when clamping near the threads.

Holding the extractor from the end did seam like a bad idea to me too. And personally I have the tools I need. Small multi-tools tend not to do any of the jobs they do particularly well.

However, I think you all are missing the point of me posting items about tools. It costs money to make these things. I can't help think that it is amazing that folks put the time and money into making products like these for a niche like revolver shooters. Useful or not.

Westczek