Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WInchester WLP Primer Problem in LNL Press

I recently tried to load some .45ACP's in my Hornady LNL Press using Winchester WLP primers. I found the primer slide to constantly get jammed up at its most rearward position. I tried to adjust the priming system but nothing helped. I then used some Federal primers and reajusted the priming sysytem. I had no troubles with the federals. I went back to WLP's and still the problem persists. I tried CCI, older nickel plated WLP's and had no problems with them. I even switch slides and punch to small pistol without any readjustment and had zero difficulties. So being confident I ruled out any adjustment issues, I called Winchester about it and got the "we haven't had this problem before". I also called Hornady, they said that they have had complaints and have experienced the problem themselves. They feel it is due to the combination of the anvil being to high and inconsitant cup shape. I also called Dillon who did not report a widespread problem but informed me there is a minor problem. Dillon also informed me that Winchester primers sold for components are not made by Olin. They are manufactured by a foreign company possibly in the Czech Republic. Only Winchester manufactured ammunition get primers made by Olin. I thought I would inform everyone, especially LNL owners so you will stay away from the aggravation.

That's interesting. I used a rifle neck inside chamfering tool to slightly chamfer the hole in the primer slide on my LnL. It helped to prevent the primer from getting hung up in the hole thus not letting the slide to ride forward to the priming station. It was such a simple fix to a very aggrevating problem, now any brand of primer fits beautifully. Also, are you using the fiberglass rod they sent with the kit to help feed the primers down the primer tube?

When I first received my LnL ap I rounded all the edges on the primer slides, the holes for both large and small primers were not very smooth so I made sure the edges of these were rounded. I've not had any issues using any Win primers.

I chamfered my large and small primer slides. Then I had to buy a new small primer slide. :blush: The issue it fixed for me was WLP hanging up halfway into the hole in the slide. I preemptively did it to my small primer slide thinking I was being smart. It caused nothing but problems, and I had to replace the slide.

I use a skinny dowel with a piece of brass epoxied to it to keep pressure on the primer stack. Mostly for when you get down to the last 5 or so primers.

I haven't had issues with WLP and many brands of small primers. But then again I haven't loaded .45 on it in several years, so I can't tell you if winchester tolerances on primers has dropped below the threshold of the fix to deal with.

I had rounded my edges and primer hole in the slide and it did not improve. As far as using the supplied primer level rod, yes Im using it. The only problem I had with using the rod is hanging up the last primer in the feed tube. I'm going to machine a level rod end to match the primer diameter for both large and small. I just have not got around to it. I will try some polishing of the slide primer hole chamfer.

• 1 month later...

I had the exact problem BallisticianX listed in the opening post. Since I had purchased a number of WLP

non-nickel plated primers I wanted a solution. A number of posters did have recommendations but before I tried any of them I called Hornady and explained the situation in case they had updated information on the problem. The technical support guy said the primer shuttle was a cast part and subject to minor flaws that might explain my problem. He recommended I take a small piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, roll it into a small tube, the size that would fit into the primer hole and buff the walls of the primer hole. That sounded like it might work so I pulled the primer shuttle out of the press and buffed the walls of the primer hole as suggested. When I reinstalled it, the very same Winchester WLP primers that had been causing my primer shuttle to stick back at the far position fed just fine. No problems at all and they fed just a reliably as the Federal primers did.

There are a number of good suggestions in this post and I just wanted to add this one since it worked so well.

Best regards to all you reloaders out there!

Elkamino