Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR 1-4x review and first thoughts

strangedays

I just picked up the Burris XTR 1-4x and all I can say is wow. For the money this scope is great. Daytime visible illumination and the reticle is perfect for 3-gun.

I was hitting steel out to 800 yards with the BDC. Glass is clear as any higher end scopes I have looked through (not the S&B shortdot but again not the same cost)

The illumination knob is nice being able to shut off between settings. The adjustable zero setting on the knobs is great. Audible clicks and easy to use your fingers but have covers so you won't have your settings getting knocked off when going in and out of barrels. I added a MGM switchview on it and quick 1-4x changes.

Plus one of the greatest things about it is the true 1x. Works like a red dot scope when you want it to and a quick change for the farther off shots.

I tested the scopes tracking and it stayed true every time. Shock tested and held zero. The biggest issue I have found with the scope is the bell of the scope moves with the magnification change, which is great in some cases but sucks if you run Butler Creek covers. I tested it up to my Aimpoint M4 on 1x and kept up on my time with the aimpoint only placing a half second longer with the XTR. I did get the XTR package with the mount and Burris Fastfire II which works great for quick for engaging targets from 5-15 yards. I would like to mount it slightly to the side but after some practice I got the hang of this setup quick. If anyone has any questions let me know.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrtactical1.html

iwnldy.jpg

34gaec8.jpg

oghs7r.jpg

ighjkh.jpg

2zjclfk.jpg

Edited by strangedays

How difficult is it to change from 1x to 4x? I have the same set up and it is very stiff turning the magnification from 1x to 4x. I am hoping that over time it will loosen up (or more correctly become easier to turn). Despite that, I love mine too.

How difficult is it to change from 1x to 4x? I have the same set up and it is very stiff turning the magnification from 1x to 4x. I am hoping that over time it will loosen up (or more correctly become easier to turn). Despite that, I love mine too.

Mine is not that stiff to turn but the swtichview makes it a cake walk. Mine was a little more stiff when I first used it and has become easier to change after some use.

MGM targets builds the MGM Switchview which I think beats the other cattail types by a long shot.

Im in a similar optical dilemma... did you compare this to the kdot? If so what made you choose the XTR

The reticle on the K-Dot sucks. I don't care how clear the glass is when the reticle doesn't work as well. I like the reticles on the XTRs and the Vortex line and SWFA has a new 1-4x thats getting much talk but again its FFP and on these types of scopes I don't need to be ranging on 1X so SFP works fine.

I have one of the XTRs as well and love it! good glass, great reticle for both close targets and distance shots. the illumination is pretty good. could be brighter, but I run it with the Illum off in most daylight conditions anyway. I seem to pick up the reticle better if i see a black circle in the green grass or trees vs a red one. maybe its just me. Hoping to get to more 3gn matches this year to give it a better run as i didnt have it out much last year.

I have one of the XTRs as well and love it! good glass, great reticle for both close targets and distance shots. the illumination is pretty good. could be brighter, but I run it with the Illum off in most daylight conditions anyway. I seem to pick up the reticle better if i see a black circle in the green grass or trees vs a red one. maybe its just me. Hoping to get to more 3gn matches this year to give it a better run as i didnt have it out much last year.

Do you have the generation one reticle or the second? I have used mine in the snow on a sunny day and it glowed bright. Most other optics I have used were washed out.

Do you have the generation one reticle or the second? I have used mine in the snow on a sunny day and it glowed bright. Most other optics I have used were washed out.

I dont know :blink: . didnt know there was a generation difference. Care to elaborate on it a bit?

I dont know :blink: . didnt know there was a generation difference. Care to elaborate on it a bit?

The Generation II was built for better daytime visible illumination I don't know if they changed the reticle at all but here is the new one maybe you can judge from this.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/Ballistic%20556%20Gen2%20&%207.62%20Reticles.pdf