Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Shell Tube with Internal Ridge

teejay

I have a Benelli Super 90 purchased in 2002. Inside the shell tube (approximately 2 inches from loading port) there is a ridge, .005 to .010", that causes after market followers to hang up in the insertion reloading direction. My factory follower works ok, but as I speed up week hand reload I can feel the catch. It happens on the shell's rim and the follower, maybe even the crimp. The Dave's Metal works and the Teflon Nordic followers both catch noticeably. I've used my bore scope to look at it and it appears two different metals are coming together here.

My question is 2 parts.

1.) Does it unscrew?

2.) Does anyone have a suggestion how to radius or smooth out the ridge?

My M2's tube is a multi-part tube. It has a two sided male threaded section that screws into the main body of the tube and into the receiver. With some heat and a strap-wrench, it would come apart.

I'd imagine your M1 tube is the same way.

IMHO.....of all the factory followers out there....the one that comes in the Benelli M1/M2 is the best out there and really doesn't need to be swapped out unless you are having significant problems with it. then, of course....use ours.

A ridge in that area doesn't sound normal, unless its the ridge that actually keeps the follower from feeding into your chamber. It may be a bad tube???

Tim