Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can the good people of the forum help me do someting nice for a young

A girl from our church is battling cystic fibrosis, and needs a double lung transplant. Insurance isn't going to cover anywhere near the cost, and from what I have gathered they need in the neighborhood of $500,000 to cover the costs. There is an auction coming up and as we live in a gun friendly community, I think a rifle would bring a lot of money. What I would like to do is see if I can find enough people with take-off parts from their ARs that are laying around collecting dust, to put together a good quality rifle to auction off. I have an FFL who is willing to do the transfer, and I am planning to buy a new barrel and bolt the build the rifle around. I would like to do more myself, but my wife and I have a house that won't sell, and a baby on the way, so we aren't flush with cash at the moment.

This doesn't need to be a tricked out competition AR. I am thinking of starting with a DPMS stainless barrel. I'd like to use an A3 upper with an inexpensive rear BUIS so that if the buyer eventually wants to scope it, they can. I really don't want to be picky though.

Got an old A2 flash hider that came on a barrel? Or an upper just collecting dust? We can use them to help a girl who is battling a deadly disease.

ALL proceeds will go to her family and I plan to track and compile the build on here if this takes off like I hope it will.

http://www.makenziesmarines.com/index.html

The auction is in February so I want to work fast. I also have PMAGS I am going to donate along with the rifle so that is covered. I have carbine handguards as well, but I might go with a 20 inch barrel. I need to see what I can find with regard to the barrel. A few boxes of factory ammo would be a welcome addition. In my mind I am envisioning and A2 style rifle with servicable irons and standard furniture.

Thank you,

Greg

Makenzie's website.

http://www.makenziesmarines.com/index.html

I am going to start a post tracking what I have so far.

Barrel - ordered and enroute.

Upper receiver - generously donated by Gentleman Jim

Lower receiver - Gentleman Jim

handguards - generously donated my mlmiller1

fire control group - mlmiller1

Magazines - I have some NIW Pmags that I am going to give with the rifle.

Sling - I have a new sling that I have no use for.

Front sling swivel attachment - I have one that I am not using.

flash hider - Generously donated by TheFrontRange (sigforum)

Rear sight - magpul generously donated by WyoShooter

complete rear stock assembly - generously donated by Graham Smith

What we need -

rifle length gas tube and pin

Bolt carrier

Bolt

ammunition - I would like to include a box or two of factory ammo with the rifle, I might just pick this up locally because it doesn't make much sense to pay to ship it.

front sight (magpul mbus)

charging handle

I am probably forgetting something, will come back to review.

If anyone would like to donate money towards the rifle I will itemized everything and will not accept any more than what I use for parts. If I wind up with any extra it will either go to a couple of boxes of ammo or be donated directly to the Makenzie's family. If anyone wants to donate anonymously for some reason that is fine too. Thank you very much.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Greg,

I've got a brand new Strike Force Todd Jarrett Signature series free float forearm I just listed for sale last night(won at a match, very cool set) made by YHM. It is over on the for sale forum but if you want it, go over there & post saying "I'll take it for Makenzie" or something like that, it can be yours free. I also have, if you want it, a brand new Burris PEPR scope mount with 30mm rings still in the wrapper. I bought it, then won a Larue mount so it has been in the safe since early last year. I know you were talking iron sights so no obligation for you, just an offer. I also have a Slightly used JP fire control setup. JPFCP-1. A guy bought it & installed it for a few weeks until his AR gold trigger showed up. I bought it from him. It is yours, if you want it. I understand these are better off setup by someone with some experience. I might be able to send it to Gentleman Jim & have him install it if he was good with that. Again, no obligation, just an offer. I may also have a cheapo rear sight laying around if I can find it.

Let me know if you want any or all these items.

Mark Miller mlm5ill9er@yahoo.com

You guys are incredible.

Mark, I will gladly use the forearm and the FCG. I am going to pass on the scope mount at this time simply because I don't have an optic or the funds to buy one.

Thank you guys very much.

Jim if you can install the FCG in the lower, I would appreciate it. I have no experience with them and prefer it be done correctly.

I have this cross posted on sigforum:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=674608412&f=320601935&m=4340019632&r=2250029632#2250029632

you can check there if I haven't updated and you want to see if anything new has been added.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Greg,

The JP FCG & the forearm are on their way to Jim. I thought it best to just send them both to him & let him forward the tube on to you. The tube is a complete kit, no need for delta rings or uhhh, whatever it takes to mount a barrel to receiver. I think it is all in the kit.

Greg, thanks for doing this for Makenzie. I hope she gets her new lungs soon!

Keep us informed,

Mark Miller

Greg,

The JP FCG & the forearm are on their way to Jim. I thought it best to just send them both to him & let him forward the tube on to you. The tube is a complete kit, no need for delta rings or uhhh, whatever it takes to mount a barrel to receiver. I think it is all in the kit.

Greg, thanks for doing this for Makenzie. I hope she gets her new lungs soon!

Keep us informed,

Mark Miller

Thanks Mark. I will keep everyone up to date.

I have a complete A2 stock assembly (stock, tube, spring, buffer) I can donate.

That would be fantastic! We are already almost there! You guys really prove that gun owners are great people.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I am going to start a post tracking what I have so far.

Barrel - ordered and enroute.

Upper receiver - generously donated by Gentleman Jim

Lower receiver - Gentleman Jim

handguards - generously donated my mlmiller1

fire control group - mlmiller1

Magazines - I have some NIW Pmags that I am going to give with the rifle.

Sling - I have a new sling that I have no use for.

Front sling swivel attachment - I have one that I am not using.

flash hider - Generously donated by TheFrontRange (sigforum)

Rear sight - magpul generously donated by WyoShooter

complete rear stock assembly - generously donated by Graham Smith

complate bolt carrier group - generously donated by Wakal

various small pins and springs not included in the fire control group - donated by a local friend of mine

generous cash donation by - High Lord Gomer (will either be put towards parts that are still needed or factory ammo)

front sight (magpul mbus) - generously donated by chadwick76 from AR15.com

What we need -

rifle length gas tube and pin

ammunition - I would like to include a box or two of factory ammo with the rifle, I might just pick this up locally because it doesn't make much sense to pay to ship it.

charging handle

I am probably forgetting something, will come back to review.

If anyone would like to donate money towards the rifle I will itemized everything and will not accept any more than what I use for parts. If I wind up with any extra it will either go to a couple of boxes of ammo or be donated directly to the Makenzie's family. If anyone wants to donate anonymously for some reason that is fine too. Thank you very much.

This is exciting that we are already there so soon. Just a few small items left to get together.

Thank you guys for making this happen! I am going to get some flyers put together and placed in local gun shops and sporting goods stores to make sure that local shooters know about this rifle being on the auction. I want it to bring big money.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I want to thank you guys again for your generous donations. I will be sending the rest of the parts to Gentleman Jim as soon as I can scrounge together a front sight, charging handle, and a gas tube.

I am going to be posting some flyers at all the local gun shops and sporting goods stores so that local gun owners will see this rifle for auction.

Thank you.

Greg

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I have a front sight coming from a kind fellow from AR15.com.

I will probably just order the gas tube and charging handle. There might be a local guy who has some in stock.

I will be putting everything together to send to Jim in a few days.

Thank you guys for making this a reality!