Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 Gen4 for IDPA?

brianr34

I currently have a G17 RTF2 that I use for IDPA. I like the grip texture, but the grip size is kind of large. I have to adjust by grip to hit the mag release and the slide release. (both are extended) I assume it is not a huge deal to have to adjust your grip, but I would prefer not to. Sometimes when I regrip, I notice my grip is not exactly correct.

I am considering a G17 Gen4, but I do have some concerns. It sounds like there are more problems with the Gen4, compared to the Gen3.

With the newer 02 spring, are there still problems with the Gen4? I mainly used Blazer 115gr Brass and Aluminum. I believe the power factor is 131. I am use to the proven Glock reliability, so I know I would be frustrated if I had issues with the Gen4.

Does Jager make a guide rod yet for the Gen4, that is legal for SSP IDPA?

Any feedback on users of the Gen4 for IDPA would be appreciated?

I do not have a Gen 4 - yet. A friend does and finds full reliability with factory full power ammo, but not with PF <130.

If you change the guide rod to a metal or non captured guide rod you will shoot ESP - not that there is anything wrong with that - it is a very competitive division.

The Gen 4 bobbles are being fixed quickly if not already.

My accuracy and speed increased when I went ahead and had a grip reduction on my G34 and just manned up to shoot ESP with the hot shots.

Best of luck and good shooting.

Run down to the IDPA section of this Forum. There may be some of this already. Duane Thomas is very knowledgable on IDPA and Glock.

I think most people have to change their grip a bit when hitting the mag release and the slide stop lever.

Good Luck!