Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Speedloader Question - Revolver: Safariland Comp 3

jkushner1

After competing for years in both USPSA & IDPA. I decided to buy a wheel gun. I bought a 4" 686 mainly for IDPA but may shoot a few USPSA matches with it also. Anyway, I just received my holster from Comp-tac, and bought 5 Safariland Comp III speed loaders and blade tech single speed loader pouches (4). I may try and shoot the S&W Indoors and wanted to confirm that what I thought I read in the rule book was fact, the holster and pouches specifically listed as legal, I think I read, but can't remember that the Comp III's were legal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if any one has any advice regard the indoor nationals, I would be obliged, as I have not shot this match before.

Thanks!

Jon

The is no longer a list of approved holster, but instead a list of attributes a legal holster must possess.

What model Comp-Tac?

Thanks Duane, I am not exactly sure which model Comp-tac but it's 1.5" standard belt holster that I have bought from them for 4 or 5 other auto's (not wheelgun) that they advertise as IDPA COMPLIANT, it covers the complete trigger guard and covers the muzzle. The more I deal with them, the more I really like their product, I was weened on a BT DOH for USPSA Production thanks to more experienced shooters years ago, and will always also know BT has the selection and offering no one else has, but the attention to detail, customer service, etc at Comp-tac along with the thinner, but high quality Kydex really has me liking their holsters and pouches.

Of the 15 or so "non race" (Production/SS/IDPA) holsters I have, 70% are Blade Tech, 20% are Comp-tac, 10% are other (G-Code, etc).

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by jkushner1

Congrats on your 686 :cheers:

For fast speedloader reloads, CompIIIs or JetLoaders are the way to go. Cutting them down and getting the chambers chamfered makes reloads even a bit speedier. That said, lots of practice is the real key to fast reloads. Make up some dummy rounds and practice daily in your garage.

Tom

Congrats on your 686 :cheers:

For fast speedloader reloads, CompIIIs or JetLoaders are the way to go. Cutting them down and getting the chambers chamfered makes reloads even a bit speedier. That said, lots of practice is the real key to fast reloads. Make up some dummy rounds and practice daily in your garage.

Tom

[/quote

What does chamber chamfering cost? Is there any good on-line video on you tube or similar to show the best or fastest/safest way to to a speed reload?

Thanks !

Jon

I'm guessing chamfering ought to run $25-$35.

AS far as vids, here's a

and a
(starring yours truly).

Couple o' points to make:

Doing 2 things simultaneously is faster than doing them sequentially. During a strong hand reload, for example, some whack the ejector with their strong hand, then use the same hand to retrieve the speedloader. That's unnecessary, and wasting time, IMO. Your weak thumb is right next to the ejector rod, so use it to eject, while simultaneously retrieving a speedloader.

Also, to close the cylinder, most people pinch-close it, then raise the gun. You can save time here by closing the cylinder with the butt of your weak thumb as you raise the gun. On my second reload, it sounds like I pull the trigger 3 times, but the first is actually the cylinder clicking closed.

oh, and don't follow my bad example - when you practice your reloads, start off with empty brass in your gun, otherwise, it's too easy to develop a wimpy ejection stroke (ask me how I know :blush: ).

Cruise on over to the revolver subforum as well - there are numerous helpful threads there about reloading technique.

Good luck!

Tom

Thanks to all you guys who responded - its funny how over time, an opinion changes. When I starting shooting competitively in 2003, I wouldn't even think about a wheel-gun. Was glad to carry one, but subconsciously thought that for some reason USPSA shooting, and to some extent IDPA, where the domain of the auto. I guess as you learn to love a sport and become more comfortable with it, you start to appreciate all the different type of guns. (I have been carrying a Ruger LCR for over a year, my wife is lucky that the S&W 60 I bought her has a 3" bbl or I would carry it also - I just really like a snub length bbl for carry)

Thanks again.

Jon