Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primed 357 brass

fudd

Have read in other posts about running loaded rounds through a vibrator and no problems. Just want to be sure. I have some primed 357 brass I bought and would like to clean it up a bit before finish reloading it. Anyone see any problems? What media would you use and should I use air nozzle to be sure to get all media out of case and inspect primer pocket with light to make sure none stuck in it?

I would load it, then throw it in the tumbler to clean it after loading. I wouldn't take the chance of media getting in the primer pocket while primed, and then load it. It would take a long time to check every flash hole on the cases when you can just load the ammo up, then put it in the tumbler and clean it all up at the same time.....

Good luck,

DougC

Yep, I second Doug, load 'em then tumble 'em. I have heard countless stories about people who tumble loaded rounds without any issues and not a single report of a round going off, but I don't tumble loaded rounds personally. May be an irrational fear or preferrence on my part...

I certainly wouldn't tumble it...every piece will have media in the flash hole...that's nearly a guarantee. If you really have to clean it, load the rounds, then tumble them in clean media. If they're so bad that they really need to be cleaned before they'd work (as in chamber/extract), they're probably to the point that I wouldn't use them at all. If it's just because you want them pretty, it's a total waste of time...assuming it's not .357 Sig, you don't have to worry about them chambering smoothly in an auto. Load 'em, shoot 'em, then tumble them. R,

I had the same problem a while ago. I wound up trading and got about 500 primed 9mm brass that was very ugly. I tumbled it in walnut and then picked out several with clogged flash holes to load. I went to the range and they all went bang, so I loaded the rest. I only used them for practice, but not a single one was a dud.

I used to have to lube to deprime and resize 38 Spl brass. I'd then prime the sized cases, then run the primed cases in walnut medium to remove the lube. I'd separate the cleaned cases from the media, then dump just the cases back in the vibrator and run them a couple minutes just to knock loose media out of the cases and primer holes. I know that some cases still has a chunk of the walnut media stuck in the flash holes, but I never had a single one fail to fire in 10s of thousands of cases processed that way.

What I won't do is deprime and resize the brass, then use walnut or corn media to clean off the lube BEFORE priming. Then you would have a real problem because of media stuck in the primer pocket that would prevent proper seating of the primers.

With the invention of carbide dies, there is no longer a need for case lube, therefore no need for tumbling to get it off. Even if you have non-carbide dies, use One Shot Case Lube and there is no residue anyway.

I used to have to lube to deprime and resize 38 Spl brass. I'd then prime the sized cases, then run the primed cases in walnut medium to remove the lube. I'd separate the cleaned cases from the media, then dump just the cases back in the vibrator and run them a couple minutes just to knock loose media out of the cases and primer holes. I know that some cases still has a chunk of the walnut media stuck in the flash holes, but I never had a single one fail to fire in 10s of thousands of cases processed that way.

What I won't do is deprime and resize the brass, then use walnut or corn media to clean off the lube BEFORE priming. Then you would have a real problem because of media stuck in the primer pocket that would prevent proper seating of the primers.

Thanks everybody for your response. My brass has a gunky feeling to it, must have been lubed. With the above 2 responses I feel a lot better about running through the vibrator before loading. Then when reloading will remove decapping pin for this batch. Practice ammo only.

Thanks again everybody.

I had the same problem a while ago. I wound up trading and got about 500 primed 9mm brass that was very ugly. I tumbled it in walnut and then picked out several with clogged flash holes to load. I went to the range and they all went bang, so I loaded the rest. I only used them for practice, but not a single one was a dud.

This is 1 of the 2 quotes that did not get into previous post.

I am :angry: can someone please explain how to get multiple quotes in 1 post? I tried hitting the multiple quote icon but nothing happened. I am starting to go a little :wacko:

Jerry

Fudd,

Just click "MultiQuote" to the right of "reply" and it's a toggle button. You can select which persons you'd like to quote then click "Add Reply" at the bottom. When it takes you to the full reply screen, you'll see all the text and quote tags for the persons you "toggled".

This is 1 of the 2 quotes that did not get into previous post.

I am :angry: can someone please explain how to get multiple quotes in 1 post? I tried hitting the multiple quote icon but nothing happened. I am starting to go a little :wacko:

Jerry

Fudd,

Just click "MultiQuote" to the right of "reply" and it's a toggle button. You can select which persons you'd like to quote then click "Add Reply" at the bottom. When it takes you to the full reply screen, you'll see all the text and quote tags for the persons you "toggled".

Thanks Erik

Jerry