Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 38 spl American Eagle

mwx40x40

Federal markets loaded 38 spl American Eagle ammo with 130 grain RN FMJ bullets. Any idea if the bullets can be purchased a for reloading. If so, who carries them as reloading components?

As long as I am asking, anybody sell 158/160 grain RN FMJ in .358 dia.? With cannelure?

I looked around last year and thought Armscorp was going to import, but nothing yet that I am aware of.

I have run Berry's 158's DSRN, Bayou 160 RN(so far this is my favorite), and assorted Lead RN bullets. All work, but I am specifically looking for a jacketed bullet in Round Nose configuration with a cannalure.

I have NO issues with the other types of bullets (plated,coated, and cast), but am amazed that there is nothing readily available for 38 spl in this (RN FMJ) configuration. Even Montana Gold came out with a .357 142 grain a while back , but is truncated instead of round nose.

I have also run 160 RN FMJ's .356" for 38 Super and taper crimped. Also, tried 124 9mm FMJ's with less success.

One exception to the rule is the Sierra 170 FMJ. But, this is a little to high dollar for me and they are quite hard to come by.

You are stuck with plated bullets, or Billy Bullets for Moly.

Xtreme(formerly West Coast) makes the 147gr 9mm bullets sized .357, which load really good. The 158RN loads well too.

I am partial to Billy bullets tapered roundnose bullets in 160 and 170gr. They have no lube grooves and slide right into the cylinder like butter.

Any cast bullet maker that has the magma 160 RN super bullet can cast them .358 for you as well, as a great practice and local match bullet too.

We have some good options out there for revo bullets now.

Regards,

DougC

Montana Gold makes a 142gr FMJ with cannelure and a 158gr CMJ with cannelure, but both are .357". Both have pretty rounded nose profile (should work well with speed loaders or moon clips). If you buy them from Mannyusa (call and he can do orders less than the 6 cases the website shows) they'd be right around $96/K.

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/38_142gr_FMJ-TC.html

Montana Gold makes a 142gr FMJ with cannelure and a 158gr CMJ with cannelure, but both are .357". Both have pretty rounded nose profile (should work well with speed loaders or moon clips). If you buy them from Mannyusa (call and he can do orders less than the 6 cases the website shows) they'd be right around $96/K.

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/38_142gr_FMJ-TC.html

MG dropped the 158 CMJ a while ago. I've been seeking a replacement ever since. Thought I had a winner with the Bayou 160 RN - but then he also stopped making them. Just ordered some Zero 158 JSP from Powder Valley - hope they work out. Sure do miss those MG 158 CMJs though. :(