Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Cal Berrys 165 FP Load

NOT QUITE RIGHT

What kind of gun are you planning on shooting out of? 165PF with clays or N320 can be a little hairy IIRC (I've never tried), unless you can load long. If you are just shooting paper you may want to load to something less than 165PF.

I load 40 s&w to 135 PF with clays and it's great for that.

Looking for a 165 FP load for Berrys Bullets.

Since VV N320 and Clays seem to be the prefered powders what do you have?

I am just shooting at paper in a indoor range but would like clean burning load.

Thanks

Each pistol is a bit different so I would say to start here http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/25 and here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Always start with a low load and work your way up. If you don't have one, get a good reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, or Lee.

I'm using Titegroup and WSF with 165 FP Berry bullets. I have not had a chance to chrono anything yet. Here is where I'm at so far:

5.1 gr TG / 1.155 OAL

5.8 gr WSF / 1.155 OAL

WIth a 170 gr LSWC Missouri Bullet I'm using the same WSF load. TG Is just to smokey for lead IMO.

I'll post chrono results when I can.

I don't load 165gr bullets, but you can & should use cast/lead data for plated bullets. You can use jacketed data, but make sure you back down the start load 5 to 10 % and work up from there. Hope this helps you out.

Berry's says to use data for lead bullets. VV lists a load with a 155gr Rainier plated bullet with 5.9gr of N320 at 1.126" being max. Since you have a heavier bullet, the max will be lower, but the starting load should be more than safe (it's only 10gr after all).

Lyman shows as high as 4.2gr of Clays with a 175gr cast bullet at 1.100". There is actually quite a bit of data posted here for plated bullets...try searching "165 N320" or "plated Clays"...combinations like that. R,

those lyman technicians were high off their butt when they developed that load. 4.2 grains of clays loaded short with a 175 grain lead bullet is way too hot in the guns i have tested. i would be cautious using any data for the 40 caliber using the Copper Units of Pressure. (i.e. Lyman, Sierra.)

Harmon

Looking for a 165 FP load for Berrys Bullets.

Since VV N320 and Clays seem to be the prefered powders what do you have?

I am just shooting at paper in a indoor range but would like clean burning load.

Thanks

i have been loading for minor power factor. This load is PF 140 thru 4" xd. Plated bullets....165gr N320

I am not sure i love this load but shoots well and accurate enough for ipsc......

4.5gr 1.126oal soft shooting with quick muzzle recovery.....

4.3gr 1.126oal bunny fart....barely cycled pistol

enjoy...please post up any results...tough to find loads at the bullet weight......

art

I did a little chrono work with Rainiers before settling on Precision Bullets, so I have just a bit of data on Rainier 165 FP's which ought to be pretty close to your Berrys.

All data is from 10 round strings fired out of a 5 inch STI Xtreme 40.

165 RainierFP/7.5 AA-5/COL 1.155/Crimp 0.422/wsp: AV=992/SD=22/PF=163. Temp 77 deg.

165 RainierFP/5.5 AA-2/COL 1.155/Crimp 0.422/Wolf sp: AV=1065/SD=10.7/PF=175. Temp 61 deg.

165 RainierFP/4.8 Solo 1000 (lot 1624 - a fast lot)/COL 1.155/Crimp 0.422/Wolf sp: AV=1003.6/SD=20/PF=165. Temp 61 deg.

I'm sure that you know the deal - start low and work your way up.

Good luck

Bill