Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I won !

Got Juice?

First ever steel match. Total time for 5 stages was 113.95 seconds with my unmodded Model 46!

Second place time was 122.46

Third was 131.18

Fourth 136.06

Considering I have only been shooting pistol since June last year, I am soo stoked!

The best part was the 7" Model 46 beating out some modded 41's :)

Although I am a little too trigger happy. The aggregate totals from the RSO state 'If you would stop double and tripple tapping some targets, you would have shaved 3 seconds off your total time (oops my bad)

Best stage for me was from the surrender position, gun loaded and on table, 5 targets in a star pattern from 12-22 yards in 3.84 seconds. Then backed up that run with a 3.79!

What a rush!

Congrats!

Just curious, did you run any standard Steel Challenge stages so we can see where you are with that? The non-SCSA matches are fun but hard to gauge where you stand with others and world class times.

Either way...Congratulations and hope you enjoy many more wins...

Congrats!

Just curious, did you run any standard Steel Challenge stages so we can see where you are with that? The non-SCSA matches are fun but hard to gauge where you stand with others and world class times.

I can make a call and find out, and post the results. *L* I am so new I did not even know if there was a standard!

Yeah, four of those are standardized Steel Challenge match stages. Zig Zag is a common stage but not one of the core eight. Most people have faster times on Smoke and Hope but Roundabout is a fast stage too.

Why did you fire from the surrender position?? Rimfires are supposed to be fired from the Low Ready position, usually pointing at a cone, flag, paint, etc. that is 12 feet from the box.

Yeah, four of those are standardized Steel Challenge match stages. Zig Zag is a common stage but not one of the core eight. Most people have faster times on Smoke and Hope but Roundabout is a fast stage too.

Why did you fire from the surrender position?? Rimfires are supposed to be fired from the Low Ready position, usually pointing at a cone, flag, paint, etc. that is 12 feet from the box.

I thought that start was low ready too. But the Match Director made the rules on this one??

I am thinking an aggregate time should be 85-90 seconds for a decent showing, so it looks like i need to do some work!

I sure wish I had some videos of the match :) It was great fun even if the temperatures were a chilly 1F out there.

Edited by Got Juice?

I am thinking an aggregate time should be 85-90 seconds for a decent showing, so it looks like i need to do some work!

I don't think 3.80 starting from surrender, gun laying on the table is bad at all. That really adds to you times. My beep to first shot runs .6 and I have no idea if that's good, bad, or indifferent but gun laying on the table would have to add a second. Totally weird start for a steel match.

Congrats!

Ok, so now that the matches are listed, where do i stack up? As a new shooter, things like this will be important in charting my progrees~

Thanks!

Well...you did very good, especially for someone who has limited trigger time. You did something that most of us don't do, draw on a Rimfire stage. You have to factor that in so it's tough to make a good comparison.

However, my normal times for a 5 stage match usually runs between 52 and 59 seconds for my rifle and 62 to 75 for my pistol. There are about four of us regulars that are in that range. It's a little unfair for me since I'm the Match Director and I get to practice sometimes on the stages.

You are doing great and I think this month, I'm going to setup the same exact stages you shot and see how all of us do. If you are interested, I'll show you the results.

Keep up the good work!!

Well...you did very good, especially for someone who has limited trigger time. You did something that most of us don't do, draw on a Rimfire stage. You have to factor that in so it's tough to make a good comparison.

However, my normal times for a 5 stage match usually runs between 52 and 59 seconds for my rifle and 62 to 75 for my pistol. There are about four of us regulars that are in that range. It's a little unfair for me since I'm the Match Director and I get to practice sometimes on the stages.

You are doing great and I think this month, I'm going to setup the same exact stages you shot and see how all of us do. If you are interested, I'll show you the results.

Keep up the good work!!

Wow, those are KILLER times! 62-75?? Dang!

do me a favor and draw the pistol off a table and see what that does to affect the times. Ah well, I can see I have a lot of practice to do in the near future. I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to shooting. Especially with Canada's oh so restrictive laws regarding handguns. Illegal to shoot even a RF22 pistol at home, by I can shoot my .270 rifle all day long :rolleyes:

I don't think 3.80 starting from surrender, gun laying on the table is bad at all. That really adds to you times. My beep to first shot runs .6 and I have no idea if that's good, bad, or indifferent but gun laying on the table would have to add a second. Totally weird start for a steel match.

You do lose your sight picture as you have to look to the table for your gun.

That's the least of it. Having to pick it up off the the table vs just coming up into the target is the big issue.

That's the least of it. Having to pick it up off the the table vs just coming up into the target is the big issue.

Ya, well if you want to try it, let me know, it makes life interesting for us, that's for sure.

Ya, well if you want to try it, let me know, it makes life interesting for us, that's for sure.

Actually I think I'd pass. I really like shooting steel (steel and pins are first choice) but when things like starting the stages from surrender then picking the gun up off a table get thrown in, I'll find something else to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep up the good work!!

That sounds about right. For our monthly Speed Steel events I usually shoot about 60 seconds for 5 stages and for a 6 stage SC match I usually do in the 70s with rimfire pistol and a little better sometimes with the rimfire rifle.