Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex sear

saab

Well, I installed the Apex hard sear in my M&P9 PRO, and I'll be darned if I can tell any difference. I shot a 192 rd action match on 1/1 and still can't tell any difference.

Has anyone else had this experience? This pistol has probably 2K rounds through it.

My first question is, What did you mean to accomplish by installing the Apex sear? Is it the pull weight that you can't a difference in? The reset length and where the sear is released (in the trigger pull) should be very different. The pretravel will be longer, but the reset shorter. Should be.

The pull weight is determined by the right combination of parts and the skill to tweak it. Many have had luck with just dropping in the whole kit. I've had to work on every kit I've installed. The end result has always been great though.

The M&P Pro that I use is at 2.2# using the sear and spring kit only. Using the whole kit and some time to work it, I can get 2lbs pretty easily. I can get under 2 if I polish the sear.

Have you checked it with a gauge? Before and after?

The sear alone will lighten it only a smidge, but adding the spring kit and polished (rounded) firing pin block and spring will make the biggest difference in pull weight. I still end up working over the trigger bar quite a bit to get the release where I want it but the whole kit is really worth it. It's quite easy to get a very very short reset with the Apex sear. I wasn't sold on it (the kit) initially either since I can do most of the work myself anyway (altering sear angles etc) but the cost vs. time makes is a value for me.

If you want the magically good M&P trigger, you might have to send it out. The triggers on these can be very very good. Mine breaks nicer than my 2011.

The M&P Pro that I use is at 2.2# using the sear and spring kit only. Using the whole kit and some time to work it, I can get 2lbs pretty easily. I can get under 2 if I polish the sear.

Have you checked it with a gauge? Before and after?

The sear alone will lighten it only a smidge, but adding the spring kit and polished (rounded) firing pin block and spring will make the biggest difference in pull weight. I still end up working over the trigger bar quite a bit to get the release where I want it but the whole kit is really worth it. It's quite easy to get a very very short reset with the Apex sear. I wasn't sold on it (the kit) initially either since I can do most of the work myself anyway (altering sear angles etc) but the cost vs. time makes is a value for me.

If you want the magically good M&P trigger, you might have to send it out. The triggers on these can be very very good. Mine breaks nicer than my 2011.

I just installed the full competition kit in my Pro. I think the sear and plunger spring alone dropped it from 5 1/2 lb to 4 3/4 lb. The striker and trigger spring dropped it to 2 lb 15 oz, and the USB another oz, but removed the gritty feel entirely, to 2 lb 14 oz.