Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interested in Heavy Metal

XDman

OK, as with my other posts, I am trying to figure out the divisions and am wondering about the 3 gun HM division. I already reload 308 so this may be a division for me. So if you shoot, or are a fan of HM, what guns are used, calibers, and the mods to them? If memory serves, the tactical division requires a limited-10 in 45, and a pump shotgun. I asked about the rifles on the 3 gun forum and alot recommended the M1a. I am just getting started so what would be the basics to get started in this division?

In today's 3 Gun game, there are several different sets of rules for "Heavy" divisions which vary based on rule systems as well as individual matches<br>Some of the Current Divisions I've seen include:<br>HeMan Division - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this division only allows buckshot and slugs, no birdshot on shotgun stages....<br>Heavy Metal - Heavy Iron - typically a pump shotgun, a 45 cal. pistol and an iron sighted 308 rifle are required<br>Heavy Tactical - Heavy Scope - the newest addition the the Heavy divisions, this adaption typically allows semi auto shotguns and an optic on the rifle.<br>Each match runs "Heavy" Class a little differently...for example, some Heavy Tactical matches allow the shooter to use a semi-auto shotgun rather than a pump.  Heavy Tactical/Scope also strays from the originally designed HeMan by allowing optics and sometimes does not even require a 45cal Pistol (although this is rare)...The main thing that has ALWAYS been consistent with Heavy Divisions is the 308 rifle.  And.......I find that it is more common to see shooters using a 308 AR than it is an M1A....the AR is more cost effective, (in my opinion) easier to reload, is easier to personalize, and is a more familiar platform.....but I'm not a heavy metal shooter and some of the big guns run the M1A with great success

Edited by GorillaTactical

Club matches tend to be 'run what you brung' affairs that tend to have only two divisions - optics & irons. If you're going to start out there, just go with what you have, have fun, & ask a lot of questions.

The larger outlaw matches tend to vary when it comes to Heavy Metal rules. The best thing you can do is go to the 3 gun match announcement list, click on the different matches, and read their rules. They'll give you a good idea of what you need to be aiming at.

Myself, I run a National Match M1A

A Springfield 1911-A1 that I've added a beavertail safety & grip tape to.

A Remington 870 that I've added an extended tube & fiber optic bead to.

Most of the 3-gun shooters at Dillon Precision compete in Heavy Metal category. Among us, the M1A is the only rifle used. We are split between Remington 870 and Mossberg 590 shotguns. For handguns, XD in 45 ACP, Glock 21 and 1911 with 10 round mags are all used. YMMV