Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Firing pin

Jimdoe

I am looking in getting an aftermarket firing pin for my pro. Does anyone know if there's availble?

I had some light strikes with my gun lately with the following recipe: Win brass + win SR primer + Win WST powder + cast bullet. When I ran factory ammo it was flawless. So I borrowed someone's MP to run my load and it ran flawlessly as well. I bought the pistol from a fellow shooter here on benos and he said that It had about 6k rounds through it. Would that round count be suffice enough to change the firing pin? I know the SR primer's metal is a little thinker than the SP primers so maybe my gun's firing pin is a little worn out and have to replace it. Has anyone ever had this kind of problem? Thanks in advance.

Jim.

You can get one here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39526

If you get this, be sure that you have the gen 5 striker assembly, if not get that as well.

A cheaper option for you might be looking into simply replacing the firing pin spring with an extra power one first:

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/search.php?submit=submit&categories=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9L%2FPro&subcategories=Springs

I do not know how much this would affect trigger pull. Give it a try and let us know.

Does your gun have a "Trigger Job" on it? If so, the striker safety plunger is probably catching on the striker and slowing it down enough to cause light strikes. Getting the timing of the striker safety plunger being pushed all the way up before the striker drops is very important. If this isn't setup correctly you will get light strikes. The easiest way to check this is to take the striker out of the gun then use a sharpie marker to black out the surface of the striker plunger safety leg. Then put it back together, rack and dry fire it 15 - 20 times. Then take it apart again and look at the striker plunger safety leg to see if any of the sharpie marker has been rubbed off. If it has been rubbed off you have a timing issue between the plunger and safety leg which will cause light strikes.

If the plunger timing is correct then your striker spring may be worn out. Its easy to check the tip of the striker to see if its worn out or damaged. The tip of the striker that hits the primer should be rounded on the end. If its sharp or chipped then its damaged and needs to be replaced. If the end is still straight and the the tip is round, I highly doubt that the striker its self is bad.

You can get one here:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=39526

If you get this, be sure that you have the gen 5 striker assembly, if not get that as well.

A cheaper option for you might be looking into simply replacing the firing pin spring with an extra power one first:

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/search.php?submit=submit&categories=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9L%2FPro&subcategories=Springs

I do not know how much this would affect trigger pull. Give it a try and let us know.

Thanks for the reply... Well, replacing the spring was the first thing I've done. I ordered the extra power spring from SSS, but even though with it the problem persisted. I am still baffled as to what's causing it.

Anyway, I had recently acquired another M&P which is a pro and I compared the striker assembly against the other one (M&P 9L) and I noticed that the pro has the stainless steel striker and the 9L has what it looks like the older version which is the blued steel striker. I swapped the striker and installed the stainless striker onto the 9L and fired 40 rds through it with no light strikes. I haven't had the chance to really look into the blue stiker to see if it's worn or what not. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Jim

Does your gun have a "Trigger Job" on it? If so, the striker safety plunger is probably catching on the striker and slowing it down enough to cause light strikes. Getting the timing of the striker safety plunger being pushed all the way up before the striker drops is very important. If this isn't setup correctly you will get light strikes. The easiest way to check this is to take the striker out of the gun then use a sharpie marker to black out the surface of the striker plunger safety leg. Then put it back together, rack and dry fire it 15 - 20 times. Then take it apart again and look at the striker plunger safety leg to see if any of the sharpie marker has been rubbed off. If it has been rubbed off you have a timing issue between the plunger and safety leg which will cause light strikes.

If the plunger timing is correct then your striker spring may be worn out. Its easy to check the tip of the striker to see if its worn out or damaged. The tip of the striker that hits the primer should be rounded on the end. If its sharp or chipped then its damaged and needs to be replaced. If the end is still straight and the the tip is round, I highly doubt that the striker its self is bad.

As per my previous post of eliminating the problem, I will give your solution a try to see if I can pinpoint the light strikes. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

Jim.