Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex PST 1X4: mill-mill or MOA-MOA

mpom

Will be purchasing the newly shipping PST, but am uncertain on which subtension system to get, for use on 16" 223/556 carbine.

Have used moa system for years, and am used to thinking of bullet drop in inches, so changing to milrads will mean a new trajectory table, doable with

JBM. Is there an advantage with one system over another if I don't have any other scopes with millrad subtensions? Also, the value of each click on the

turrets is different; moa version each click is 0.5 moa(0.5" @ 100yards), mill version each click is 0.2mil (0.72" @ 100yards) Significant for accuracy or sighting in?

Thanks in advance,

mark

If you are comfortable with MOA then I would go with that. For this type of scope and the type of shooting done in 3-gun it really shouldn't matter. You shouldn't be dialing in your DOPE anyhow.

Just my opinion

I did not get the Viper PST What I just got is a Razor that is only in MRAD , I was hesitant in getting the MRAD over a MOA scope as I had spent all my shooting with MOA Leupold scopes and Dialing in for what I needed . Including having my turret marked for my 90 yard precision shots and the 45 yards shots = Battalion style targets with a rim fire.

Any way The MRAD is explained good in the book and lots of information on line to help it make sense and the math to work fine in your head.

Your question directly I think is for 3 gun = We will have lots of under 200 yards shots + some past always a mix. (Rite)? so

the MOA reticle you are looking at is just a bit -too much- the lower 20 to 30 marks would never get used. and the other mark are not spread out as easy to pick up at the MRAD reticle

If you look at the MRAD reticle and the first wide bar just above the bottom of the circle.> That "I think" will be your 350 yard target bar depending on how you sight in .?

It may be a small thing but I would rather have the markings inside the circle with the mrad over the moa

Even with the higher priced Razor and the 556 reticle I have to adjust my target above or below one of the intended range lines, but having the lines look different help me find my bar quicker.

the Knob on both scopes are way easy to read and If I had a stage with several shots out past 600 I would possible dial it in to bring the target at the bottom of the circle. And what I will do to plan for that contingency is tape a witness mark on the turrets in my training so that I am ready for it.

What ever one you get I bet you like, You gotta promise to post back in with a report after you shoot it a bit.

dry.gif I may have to start a Vortex club

Edited by AlamoShooter

If you're used to moa and think in "moa" , that might be the way to run. With the adjustments matching the reticle, either way will be better than a mismatched reticle vs adjustments.

Just ordered a 1-4 pst today, in mrad (mil/mil). Been running a mil/mil scope for about a year now on my bolt gun, the matching reticle & adjustments has been very nice compared to all my previous scopes that had mil-dots w/moa adjustments, no math, just dial what you see.

Called around quite a bit, today was the day that many dealers recieved they're pst's from vortex. Cameraland, opticsplanet, liberyoptics, cstactical, etc.

Thanks AS and RC.

Will get Mrad version.

Less clutter is always good.

Have the Shooter Android app, so that, and a print out from JBM on the stock should "get-er-done".

Am looking forward to receiving the scope. I'm a noob, so my feedback is probably not of much value. Home range

is limited to 100 yards, but do have a friend with land, so will try it out there.

Best price I found is Liberty, $450 vs $500 for everyone else. Site says $499, but a phone call will confirm the actual price.

Mark

Edited by mpom

Thanks AS and RC.

Will get Mrad version.

Less clutter is always good.

Have the Shooter Android app, so that, and a print out from JBM on the stock should "get-er-done".

Am looking forward to receiving the scope. I'm a noob, so my feedback is probably not of much value. Home range

is limited to 100 yards, but do have a friend with land, so will try it out there.

Best price I found is Liberty, $450 vs $500 for everyone else. Site says $499, but a phone call will confirm the actual price.

Mark

As long as you have matching turrets & reticle, it's truly personal preference. You'll be good to go -- Scott's (Liberty) a solid dealer.

Two slight advantages that I can think of for Mil over MOA (really more for LR Tac than 3gun):

1. the numbers are smaller, i.e., usually dealing in 1.x or 2.x vs. teens/twenty+ (some may prefer whole numbers)

2. at LR tactical matches, most spotters are making miss calls in Mils

Since JBM lets you produce dope sheets in either MOA or Mil, no difference there.

Sure, most MOA set ups have 1/4 click values vs. .1 mil so you can argue slightly more precision. Keep in mind that much of the feature set differences help in LR stuff but aren't terribly applicable to 3gun distances. OK, I do dial dope from time to time but I'm the exception.

For example, if I'm shooting a bunch of targets at a fixed distance (e.g., 200 yds), I dial so center cross is at 200 yds. If it's a mix of distances, say 250 - 425 yds I may dial to an intermediate distance of 300 yds and then make slight .1-.2 mil holdover/under adjustments. Not dialing mid-stage however!

How does one make 0.1 or 0.2 mil holdover/under adjustments with a reticle such as the PST, where it looks like there is a 0.5mil gap between the center dot (0.3mil diameter) and the any of the etched lines? I guess I could hold the edge of the dot above or below the target to make a 0.15mil change in point of impact.

Will go with mil/mil, as my older brain could use the stimulus of learning something new!

Then need to find some local matches in which I can embarrass myself :lol: