Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

adjustable weight slide?

BBoyle

Is it possible to make an adjustable weight slide?

I would think have slots cut (like front sight cut slots) along the top front of the slide to the lugs in the slide. Shooting a steel match just hammer the weights out or possibly undo a set screw. Major add weights to tune to how you prefer the gun to feel.

-------.....-------.......---------.............................-----------------------------------------

....../.....\...../........\............................................./........\......../.........\

......-------.....----------.............................................-----------...... -----------

Steel loads (ignore the dots. they are there to demo the slots properly) major loads

Slots would be in the left and right sides of the slide with the top of slide open for the weights to be added. Weights could be adjustable with different weights and materials to allow whatever tuning someone may need.

I was just thinking about it at work today. It may be a stupid idea but it may work. I have shot some open guns that I thought that the slides where too light on. (at least for me) I think it might give some options for gunsmiths so that the gun can change as the shooters skill and ability to shoot it changes. Then again it may be a reason for someone to not feel that they need a better blaster to be built.

Brian

Hello: For a limited pistol you could use a bushing barrel for steel and a bull barrel for major? You could add a tungston guide rod as well. For an open pistol you could change the comp from a titanium to a steel one. For the slide you could have a slot with a shoulder and a set screw to hold it into place. In the end it would just be easier to make major and minor loads to suit you :cheers: I have thought about it for open but shooting 95 grain bullets is like shooting a 22. For a limited pistol how about a 9mm top end? Thanks, Eric

Hello: For a limited pistol you could use a bushing barrel for steel and a bull barrel for major? You could add a tungston guide rod as well. For an open pistol you could change the comp from a titanium to a steel one. For the slide you could have a slot with a shoulder and a set screw to hold it into place. In the end it would just be easier to make major and minor loads to suit you :cheers: I have thought about it for open but shooting 95 grain bullets is like shooting a 22. For a limited pistol how about a 9mm top end? Thanks, Eric

You can't shoot Major with 95gr bullets....112gr minimum. R,

Where is that info? Ive never seen that... Just curious :cheers:

Where is that info? Ive never seen that... Just curious :cheers:

Its appendix D1 of rule book, pg 74

Yep, at various times, we've had different weight limits for Major. Way back, there was even a different weight limit for cast versus jacketed if you had an unramped barrel (.38 Super) I want to say you were limited to a minimum of right around 143gr with a cast bullet and maybe 150gr for jacketed. That went away eventually, and there was some whacky stuff going on for a while....95gr bullets going close to 2,000fps in 9x25s and such :surprise:

....95gr bullets going close to 2,000fps in 9x25s and such :surprise:

Ahhhh...... those were the days, a replacement compensator every 2000 rounds, buckets of Winchester 296, wearing plugs with earmuffs and painful elbows for 3 days after the local weekend match.

Sure don't miss 'em B)