Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Glock guide rod as non-captured?

brianr34

I purchased a 13 and 15 lb IMSI recoil springs to try out on my G17.

I had an extra stock Glock guide rod, so my plan was to remove the end cap and install one of the IMSI springs. When I tried to remove the cap, the cap broke.

Can I just use the rod as a non-captured type? I gave it a try and it seem to work. Of course it is not much fun trying to get the rod/spring back onto the slide.

I have not actually shot the gun and was only cycling the slide (with 13lb spring). Is there anything I need to know when using the rod as a non-captured type? Just wanting to make sure a problem will not occur when I fire the gun.

I guess my other option is to buy a Jager captured plastic guide rod.

You will be just fine using the factory rod without the cap. I don't know why people seem to have such a difficult time reassembling their Glocks when using a non-captive rod? I've been doing it for years... :closedeyes:

So have I, but for a G35. Non-captured assemblies for a G17 are IMO, a HUGE pain in the a$$.

I did sorta the same thing. I bought a Wolff guide rod and ISMI springs. Went to assemble it and found that ISMI springs won't fit on a Wolff guide rod. So I figured I'd pop the cap off the factory guide rod and use it--but, of course, I broke it. I tried it as a non-captured and it worked just fine, and I have not changed it out yet.

You will be just fine using the factory rod without the cap. I don't know why people seem to have such a difficult time reassembling their Glocks when using a non-captive rod? I've been doing it for years... :closedeyes:

So have I, but for a G35. Non-captured assemblies for a G17 are IMO, a HUGE pain in the a$$.

OK--I've got to ask. The factory guiderod and recoil springs in a G35 and G17 are identical. Same 17lb spring, same plastic guiderod, same length. So why is the

G35 OK but the G17 a pain in the a$$?

I have LoneWolf s/s guide rod and a 20# ISMI recoil spring and a LoneWolf barrel for my G20sf. I know of some who use these guide rods as uncaptured i guess easy to change while tailoring their reloads. Never heard of a problem.