Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to "reflex" red dot

kamikaze1a

At long last, our club is going to move the "steel challenge" matches to Sundays so I'm finally going to get to try it out. Mounted a "reflex" type red dot sight to my 22rf pistol and finding it hard to acquire the target quickly if I don't get the line up right. I realize that it should come with practice but wondering if there are some tricks or tips to move me along quicker.... I switched to a tube style red dot and found way easier to get fast target acquisition. Any tips to fast target acquisition with a reflex red dot?

You've got to practice/dry fire a lot more ;)

That's why I went back to the tube type, I know it's the lazy thing to do, but I believe I index off the tube itself :D

BTW, if you have a hard time finding the dot from the low ready position, wait till you try it from the draw.

Edited by kmca

Your Eye is the first thing to go to the target and keep your eye on the target and just be aware of the dot. As in learn not to look at the dot. this is for all most all the steel challenge type shots. as you are ready for longer shots the awareness of the dot / or dot focus shifts.

Be ready for a string of "no No thats not rite"

I probably don't know nothing

I got to say that it did get easier as I practiced bringing up from low ready but sometimes, I can "hear" the timer ticking as I tried to align. The tube was way easier to acquire and since the match is coming too soon, I think I will for now stick with the tube. Intend to eventually remount that reflex though...sure do like the compactness of that reflex. And drawing sure will be a whole new ballgame! LOL

the biggest problem people who transition from iron sights to a dot is that they still focus on the sight...with a dot its the opposite, you look at the spot you wantto hit, and bringthe dot/gun to it...other thing to remember(leastfor me) is to leave both eyes open and looking atthe target