Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem With IPSC Grip

When I use an IPSC grip (i.e. both thumbs pointed forward on the left side of the gun), as soon as the gun starts to recoil my left thumb slips off the frame and needs to be repositioned. My right hand is touching the checkered part of the gun and remains in place, but most of my left hand is just touching the outside of my right hand. If I'm shooting outside and my hands start to sweat, that makes it worse. But even if I'm indoors, there's nothing to hold onto with my left thumb. It's just touching the left side of the frame. What am I doing wrong?

Maybe the grip is not big enough for your hands. The palm of your weak hand should be touching the grip on a left side and neither of the thumbs should be touching the frame (or else you'll be pushing the gun to a side).

You can try to use grip lotion like fastgrip, progrip or even climber's chalk to make your hands less slippery and help to stay on the grip.

Sounds to me like you are bearing hard into the gin with the left thumb, it should either just barely touch or not at all. Good chance your left hand grip and overall grip and stance is probably to tense/rigid. Try backing off a bit and see what happens.

As long as we are talking about a standard production gun and not an open/race gun. Your left thumb should not be resting on anything. It also should not be applying pressure to the frame. Your left thumb should lay on top of your left hand. If your applying pressure with your left thumb to the gun, you could induce malfunctions by slowing the slide if your up that high or by putting enough pressure on the slide stop, to prevent it from working correctly.

A photo or video of your grip would be of tremendous help.